Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

When should I start thinking about having children?

My wife and I are both 28 and have yet to have children. Neither of us are interested in having kids right now and we might not be for a long time. I don't know if we ever will, but I wanted to ask if we're waiting too long to make up our minds. It seems like a lot of people we know have already had kids and some of them had kids almost immediately after they got out of high school. My closest friends though, both from school and childhood, none of them have kids and are all about our age.

• Mark

If you really wanted kids yourself you'd

likely know by now this should not be

a question you're asking strangers on y!a..

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,, ,,,

• edward

I want to have more kids, my wife wants maybe one or two more, i know that after 30 the chances for complications is higher than right now. She knows it too. We’re both nurses and want to get back to our careers before we’re 40

Don't fool yourself, you have already begun thinking about having children, just that you haven't thought it was a good idea.  There is no rule that says you have to have children at all.

But why are you different than the people you know that had kids?  Well that is easy … you have different priorities than they do.  And that doesn't make them right and you wrong for waiting, or perhaps to never have children, it is just a different approach.  So don't sweat it and take your time deciding into the future.  It doesn't get risky until your wife reaches 40.

We started trying to get pregnant when I was 27 and it took two years for me to get pregnant. The older your wife gets, the harder it will be for her to become pregnant. So keep that in mind. If you're hoping to have at least two children, don't wait too long to get started. 

• LizB

You still have time, but by your early 30s it would be wise to make a decision either way since fertility problems can start earlier in some people than you'd think. I actually have a couple of friends who started trying at your age and even then had problems. Some required intervention, some didn't but were starting to think about it. Then again I have friends who conceived naturally in their late 30s or early 40s also. You just never know.

Kids are highly over rated and very expensive. 

I think in between the parents asking about grandkids...imposing and society's pressure to have kids it's a tough decision.

I'd travel, you're both young.

Work on a degree, get a career....you got lots of time.

Totally up to you.

If you want more than one, you will want to start by about age 30.

If not, by age 35.

• Helen

Well Mick Jagger had his 8th child at 73, so you've still got plenty of time.

Your wife on the other hand probably has about 7-10 years left to change her mind.

• LizB

40% of the time the problem is male-factor, and 20% of the time it's both people. Only 40% of the time is it a problem with the female partner alone.

whenever you want to, thats up to you

• Byrd

How on earth would anyone here know what YOU should do