Overtaking!?

Hi,

I had a job interview four days ago as a bus driver. We had language test, driving test and interview.

We started with language test. Right after the test I was the first person to be called to the interview room. When we were done.  I was the last to go to driving test because everybody else started with driving test.

I drove the bus like a professional even the instructor showed me my result telling me it was the best he had in years.

My question. Ca 20 minutes on the road. There was a tractor on the road going 30 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. I didn’t overtake it cause there were a lot of pedestrian crossings on the road. I drove behind the tractor for almost 4 km. When we were done. The instructor asked me after he showed me my result. But one thing! Most drivers would overtake the tractor. Why you didn’t? I told him you are my instructor but since I’m the one who was driving, it was my responsibility to drive safe and not taking risk overtaking in 50 km/h zone with pedestrian crossings. Since I’ll be transporting people I’ll be having big responsibility to transport them safe too.

Was I harsh to him? I’m just worried for him to have changed his mind about my results.

I got two more days to get the decision if I’ll be employed or not. Thank you

I didn’t got employed as I predicted! Thank you all for your response...

He is the Instructor. You told him WHY. So he can walk if he don't like it.

That is not harsh. Your thoughts are in the RIGHT PLACE, You are being responsible because others RELY ON YOU GETTING THEM HOME ALIVE.  Not important about being on time.

.  You WON'T GET DINGED for it. You were not driving a sports car. The tractor would pull over if it could.  It was going as fast as it could.

Don't worry about it.

There is nothing you can do about it  anyways.

However, the instructor would be aware of the the Humbolt bus crash that happened last year in Canada where 16 people died in the bus, because the truck driver decided to go through a stop sign at the same time a bus was crossing the intersection with Right of Way.  Right of way means nothing if the other guy is ignoring the stop sign.

You were right; absolutely! If the instructor didn't like the answe that's his problem.

If you don't get the job come and drive for my local busco in the UK, we need some good drivers

• Omar3 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much for your response...

The only harsh bit would be your attitude while you said it, if you had any. You are right about safety, but there might have been an opening worth taking. That's a long way to go at 2/3 your usual speed and that translates into late stops.

• Omar3 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much for your response...

He asked you a question, you answered it correctly.

• Omar3 weeks agoReport

Thank you for your response...