Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Since my uncle is an alcoholic I might risk of becoming one?

He won’t get help and my mom covers up for him.

• Chanel
    Favorite Answer

I hope you do not become an alcoholic.

But ask yourself this: do you crave a drink? Alcoholics are usually irritable until they have a drink.

The hangover the next day is a dreadful feeling and you will only waste the day laying down until this feeling wears off.

If you feel you have a drink problem then go to AA and listen to other people's stories. It will help.

Your mom can cover up all day long... like i told you before, if he's an alcoholic, everyone who knows him is fully aware of his drinking issues.

If you choose to be.

Guess that would depend on your actions or desires for alcohol and how much self control you maintain alcoholism is a disease and it possibly can be inherited do some research on it and if you think this may have a negative affect on you seek professional help and pray for strength and courage to over come it.

It depends on why he became an alcoholic. My mother is one but she only really started drinking after my Dad's sudden death. I have had issues with alcohol, principally as I was 15 when the event happened and my mother decided to try to drink herself to death.

Now I don't drink at all and have no urge to do so in any way. I don't miss it either.

You're not at risk of becoming one as long as you pay attention to you're drinking. Never drink alone and never have more than an average of 5 drinks/week, and chances are you'll never be an alcoholic.

no not necessarily, it comes down to self will.

The risk is not great. Best thing to do is stay away from alcohol. Alcoholics won't get help unless they want it. Try contacting Alcoholics Anonymous in your area to see if you can find help for your uncle. I had an uncle who drank himself to death and dies way too young.

Your choices are your own, if you don't want to be an alcoholic then don't be one.

• DON W

Might, if he's a blood relative.  There's some evidence that the tendency toward alcoholism tends to run in families.  The best thing for you is to either not drink at all, or drink very lightly, as in one beer or glass of wine a week.