Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

How do I get my parents to understand that I am not guilty for being mentally ill.?

My mom is mentally ill also and yet she is one of the ones to convicts me as guilty for having it. 

NO ONE IS GUILTY of being ill.

Mental or emotional illness is not a shameful thing just as cancer or asthma is not a shameful diagnosis.

Since your mother is not a physician, she cannot diagnose you.

But ask her what your "symptoms" are that she thinks you have and if her observations are false, tell her so.

• Dejair

No way ; you are the guilty and responsible to the return .

Your mom sounds a lot like mine. She usually projects her own mental illnesses into me. I don't know if she's right, but there's a difference between her and me: I'm willing to accept help to treat my alleged illnesses, while she doesn't, and instead claims she's perfectly fine.

Sounds like they're not the best parents in the world. Blaming their own child for having mental problems is not a wise thing to do, because there are things we don't choose to live with. Mental illness is usually one of them.

By doing more (such as therapy, meds, meditation, hobbies, etc.) to make your mental illness irrelevant.

• Chanel

Your mom is using fault projection. By calling you names it makes your mom feel like she is not alone or it could be that your mom is in denial.