Rightman asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 weeks ago

Do you feel a bit thick abroad when you rely on them to speak English or can you speak other languages?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Hardly. It is they who are a bit thick. After all, whatever grunts and sounds they make in their own languages can hardly be called proper English. Just try raising your voice and shouting at them a bit, louder seems to do the trick. 

• 4 weeks ago

No. I made an effort to try and learn other languages but found when I made honest effort to practice they make fun of you, constantly correct you , or just make no effort to understand you. I don't even try anymore. Very discouraging since in my home country I hear foreigners speak broken English all the time and with just a little effort can figure out what they are trying to say. I may stop doing that , depends on the person.

• 4 weeks ago

I speak French, Russian and German, and varying amounts of other languages. It's a long time since I've visited a country where I couldn't say at least Hello, please, thank you, how much? where is xxx Hotel, good, not good, goodbye.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not at all, I tend to visit English speaking countries. 

Funny how all those non English speakers living in England don’t feel the need to speak the language of the country they chose to live in. Are they all thick?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Language does a problem which may be a reason for Brexit. You can choose some places where local people can communicate in English.

• 4 weeks ago

Not really, I have been all over the world and most places as in 95% you can get by with just English. English is the world's business language. I have noticed the worst native English speaker backpackers/tourists are the British. They ONLY ever speak English.

I can speak a dozen words in a dozen languages but the only real conversational languages I can use are English, Portuguese, and German. When I was in China I just used google translate.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I can speak enough Russian for a relatively basic conversation and can read the Cyrillic alphabet.

• 4 weeks ago

what other languages. Ive never heard someone who cant speak english before. Their other "language" is obviously just a scam to try make us feel sorry for them

• 4 weeks ago

NO. think of it like this there are over 200 countries with a absolute multitude of languages. its not possible to learn them all, so the answer is for them to learn English which has become a universal language across the world

• 4 weeks ago

I know a bit of French and German and I can say you have a lovely muff in Italian for some reason

• Biff
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

I know some filthy Spanish expressions taught to me by an Australian young lady in Benidorm some time ago

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.