got Pell Grant in 98. dropped classes-disability. Thought debt forgiven 2006. Silence since til CA just notified still owe debt!?

In 1998 during my second year at WSU I got another pell grant. But, my disability flared up. So, My advisor said to drop my classes the day I met with her to avoid being penalized, turned out she was wrong & I had dropped them 2 days early, I didn't know until I got a notice from the college telling me. At first they said I had to repay a portion of pell Grant back. After learning I had dropped cause disability had gotten worse & my Dr's didn't see me employable in foreseeable future They said I probably qualify for a forgiveness program & sent me forms. Dr. & I filled them out & submitted them. I got letter of approval. In 2001 I had to update disability status, In 2006 they asked Dr's if I'd ever be employable? Dr said no, then I got letter that read like debt had been forgiven. Have heard nothing until a few days ago when I get letter from CA saying I now owe this debt. It's been so long ago that I don't have any of the documentation or letters that made me think didn't owe this debt! Why haven't I heard anything until now?what do I do? Any advice? Does SOL apply here?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Pell Grant is a Federal Program, and the State of California would NOT be contacting you about a Federal debt. Chances are, you owe the SCHOOL money. Contact whoever sent you the letter and have them explain what the debt is.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.