How many turkeys are bought on thanksgiving in the US?

Anyone know this fact?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Very, very few. Most turkeys are frozen and require thawing. The overwhelming majority of frozen turkeys are bought in the days and weeks before Thanksgiving. In the stores that are open on the holiday, someone might buy a fresh turkey if there any left. The farms that sell fresh turkeys generally have them ready for pickup 1-2 days before the holiday, when they would be closed so they can enjoy their holiday.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I'm sure there's an estimate somewhere of the number of turkeys that are sold every year, but you can buy a frozen turkey any time of the year. Statistics might shoe sales for a one month period leading up to Thanksgiving but would not break it down weekly or daily.

• 4 weeks ago

https://www.reference.com/holidays-celebrations/ma...

google is your friend.

FYI some of the information may be skewed as some homemakers buy more than one, if the price is really cheap, and cook them throughout the year, not just during the holidays.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Here - I know google is too difficult for some people 

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+thanksgiving+turkey...

• Then it shouldn't be difficult to answer...idiot.  I obviously couldn't find it that way...

• Louis
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Most people buy their turkeys before thanksgiving. but one source estimates that 46 million turkeys will be consumed on Thanksgiving. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The U.S. Department of Agriculture used to know this, but since Trump came into office and fired all the government scientists, there probably isn't anybody in the USDA who knows this any more.

• Just answer the damn question without making everything political...this is the internet, surely there will be kept records from previous years.  If you don't know the answer, then simply don't answer...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.