Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 8 months ago

Should I move to a different country or Should I stay in the Republic of Ireland ?

I'm 22 years old and I graduated from university in May and I'm currently travelling the world for a year, recently I was in Indonesia and it got me thinking that maybe I can make a better life for myself in a different country that isn't the Republic of Ireland.

• Andrew

There's pros and cons to life in most first-world, highly-developed nations. I left Ireland back in the mid 2000s as a young man and I haven't returned for more than a few weeks at a time since then. I think it really depends on what it is you're looking for and what it is you want to do with your life. I grew up in Waterford, which wasn't a great area, and when I was given the opportunity to study elsewhere, I took it. After I completed my studies, I did exactly what you're about now and I travelled, saw quite a bit and found a place it was hard to leave. Flash forward over a dozen years and I'm married, with three little ones, a permanent foreign resident in a country I never thought I'd set foot in as a lad. Now when I think about going home, I think about the ludicrous rents, the astronomical prices for petrol and utilities. I miss home, but the quality of life I've got where I am now is superior to what I'd have if I were to return. It only stands to reason that if you're thinking about settling elsewhere that you ought to have a solid plan of where that might be and what you might be doing. That's the only way you could really go about making the decision. The Irish passport is probably the best passport to have in the world, and it opens a lot of doors. 

Don’t come to America