Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 3 weeks ago

How come it’s socially accepted for women to date up?

But when a man wants to date an equal, people say he’s to picky, too selfish, etc.

As a couple answers have indicated hypergamy has long been a part of society.  In some countries this involves a woman literally marrying into a higher cast.  In most western societies, however, it's more the accepted standard that women get to marry up, but no so much with men.  For example, it's considered perfectly acceptable for a nurse with a B.A. and limited income to marry a wealthy PhD doctor who makes a fortune, but the reverse is not so acceptable.  As you said, when a man wants to date someone his equal, he's often called selfish.

Hypergamy is very linked to the view of men as protectors and providers which goes back to the dawn of human kind.   Men are stronger and women get pregnant.  Pregnancies typically take 9 months and after that the child needs a lot of care, making it a precious resource, especially long ago.  In contrast, it only takes one man to fertilize many women.   There have of course been many social ideologies which have expanded hypergamy beyond it's biological roots.  

Who cares why it's socially acceptable for women to "date up", "marry up", etc?  You sound like a whiny incel.

I don't think people are bothered to much to think about that.

where is this ?????

• John

Where's this? In general people kinda stick to their own level in fating.

I know, um a handsome guy and usually I date pretty women.

You know dating us about looks, love and sex right?

• e9601:

@John - what a shallow person you are.

It's just hypergamy. Completely natural and nothing we can do about it, other than to legalize prostitution.

because society enables womens objectifying behaviors toward men because men are hated and considered disposable due to cultural misandry 

• John

My old man (father) was ww2 calvery and never backed down before them while relms of me countrymen's fathers did. So I recognize the flack coming from wimp quarters.

No one says a man who wants to date an equal is "picky". The problem is that a lot of guys seriously don't think their looks or life accomplishments should matter. It comes down to not believing women should be allowed to have standards at all. And I'll say it again, the only people I know who pay alimony are both women and they're both paying it to men. So men "date up" and "marry up" as well.

Read up on Hypergamy which has been the norm throughout history in most societies.   

• liz

Because men and women can choose to date whoever they want.  

Why do you care? Are you not part of the "up" that you speak of?

Source(s): nothing