Should I go to college and get a degree or join the military? What do you think will be a better career or decision?

I'm 23 years old and I'm not sure what to do with my life. Should I go get a degree/trade or just join the military? What do you think would be a better decision. I know the military pays for college but I don't need them to. I just want a career/job that I can be satisfied with. I know you don't know me and only I can make that decision, but I just want some honest opinions or references (maybe you were in this position or having this thought and I want to know what you did.) 

Some say the military is a waste of time and if you're not broke go and get a degree. Others tell me it's an outstanding experience and if I could I would do it all over again. I simply wan't to here your advice or your experiences on what you did or doing with your life. 

• Logan
    Favorite Answer

Don't do a degree just for the sake of doing something. I'm going to assume you're American given you call university college. Running with that assumption definitely don't do something just for the sake of doing it, especially college, that's a lot of debt your government doesn't protect you from.

However, the military probably isn't something you want to consider at the moment either. Do you want to be deployed? Could you handle a combat situation? **** happens in the army that you really can't anticipate your reaction to or whether or not you can handle it.

As much as one can say yeah the **** that happens in a war zone is horrible, I'll come back with waking nightmares and potentially PTSD, as with anything that has the potential to become traumatic, you don't know jack until you know and you can never unknow.

Consider your life a bit more. What you've done in school and outside of it. If you enjoy working with your hands then maybe a trade is the best fit for you. If you're math-y maybe you'd be better doing college but being an Electrician requires working with hands and a math-y brain.

If you're more of a words person then college is for you but consider what kind of words you like. Were you good at persuasive essays? Changing opinions of different people regarding the same things? Consider a PR course or Marketing.

However, if you're in a country that doesn't have free higher education, like America, then I would caution you to pick your path very wisely. Know the ins and outs of what you like and what direction you choose because it is an expensive mistake if you choose wrong.

• Big Mouth

Doing military service after college is the equivalent of washing dishes at a restaurant after a dine-and-dash that you couldn't afford.

Well do you want Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?  Just go straight to living under a bridge on the freeway.

• Vivek

Hello,

I know sometimes it's become difficult to make a right choice at this very crucial stage of your life but I think you can either go for higher studies or can also apply to (n) no of jobs.

Regarding Jobs Knowledge-

For best guidance, you can connect with students at https://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cbse-recruitm...

Source(s): PaGaLGuY

A lot (maybe most) go to the military, because it's something they've always wanted to do.  And you can also learn a trade, that you can use in the civie world.  You can make a career of it, but you have to keep ranking upward.  Otherwise you are out.

I did my 3 years, then used my GI benefits to pay for my comp sci degree   You're going to have to decide for yourself.  A military career, or a college degree & civilian work/job.    

• Liz

In 2004, Jehovah’s Witnesses released another video for youths. It is entitled Young People Ask—What Will I Do With My Life? It is hoped that by means of this video on DVD, many young people will be encouraged to put the worship of Jehovah God first in their lives.—Matthew 6:33.

Source(s): www.jw.org/Videos

One of the big advantages to the military is that you can get extensive paid training for a specific vocation. If you're mechanically inclined, you could become a helicopter mechanic, for example, a skill readily transferable to the civilian world. One of the qualities human resources recruiters look for is steadiness of character; they love to see steady work histories. Some military careers aren't readily transferable. Navy corpsmen and army medics do more things than EMTs do, but you still have to go to EMT school if you want to work in an ambulance, because cities and states like certificates and they like to be in control of the work force. I don't know about communications specialists in the military, but air traffic control should be transferable.

From what I have heard joining the military is a waste of time. There is a high chance you will be sent to risk your life overseas and it's only for minimum wage. Seriously it ain't worth just go to college and try and find something you enjoy. 

So you don't have any options that you really like, in terms of a possible career? Is there something that you are good at and that you enjoy doing? Do you like cars? Do you like computers? do you like painting? Music? Science? Sport? Is there anything that jumps out at you?

I know it's hard, because I really had no idea about a career at your age. I started playing gigs in rock bands, and I had some success with that, but it was never really a credible career path, I didn't have the self discipline to approach it seriously, and eventually I had to stop hanging out with stoned musicians and find a paying job.

If you really have nothing specific that you want to try, maybe the military is a good option. It certainly won't be a waste of time, you can get a lot out of experiencing the military. There's probably no better place to learn self discipline, and that is something that will help you no matter what you do. Expect it to be hard, and expect it to change you. You will have to adapt, or drop out.

23 is still young. If you were older, I say just go get a degree or pick up a trade because what if you don't like the military then you just wasted 4 years for nothing. At least your young and if you don't like it you can still come out with a good resume and have them pay for college or whatever you want to do with your life. Having a military resume in America is a major plus in life.