Rock asked in HealthOptical · 8 months ago

Was I given the wrong contact prescription?

I went to the eye doctor (same company, different location/doctor) because I noticed the vision in my right eye was getting worse. My original contact prescription is L -5.50 and R -5.25. The doctor told me the prescription had changed and I have slight astigmastism in the R eye. The optician then gave me contacts for -5.00 for both eyes. Shouldn't that number be going up if I need stronger contacts? If i'm being honest, the optician did not seem to have much clue what he was doing but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I haven't put on the contacts yet, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

It's possible for you to see poorly because your prescription is too high. Changing from -5.50 to -5.00 could solve problems for you. I see a real problem that they didn't have you put on the contacts at the office and check out your vision there. That is poor care in my opinion.