Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

I don't understand why the age of adulthood is 18?

I didn't start feeling like an adult 

until 35. I think 18 is putting far

too much pressure on young-people. 

Your thoughts?

Age of majority in the US used to be 21 until the military complained that 21 year-olds are already too opinionated to train into soldiers. That's the only reason our AoM is set at 18. That military service, btw, is the only reason 18 year-olds are allowed to vote. You can't really send someone off to war when they didn't have a voice in deciding the direction of the nation. But I do grant you that most 18 year-olds lack the faculties expected in an adult.

i started feeling like an adult at 25. 18 may be a little quick. but 21 id say is the answer.why restrict handguns and alcohol till 21 but let people drive and smoke at 18? my vote. 21.

They should have a test.

Give the mature kids adult rights at 14, and the dimwits at 35.

I agree.  I became an adult at 42 when my first kid was born.

No 18 year old is mentally or physically an adult. 

They are not allowed to legally drink, smoke marijuana or tobacco, rent cars, buy firearms, rent cars, or gamble at casinos. 

It is putting too much pressure on any teen to expect them to act like an adult. Their brains are not ready to handle this. There is a reason why age 21 was always seen as the magic age. 

Society is just delaying and delaying adulthood! Allowing immaturity to fester for far longer than necessary! Actual biological "adulthood" starts at 13 (when puberty starts)! Why do you think women get their periods around that time! Sometimes even younger! Some guys get their first wet dreams, cracked voices and erections by that age! 

"Adult" is just a "science" term that society has used for centuries meaning able to reproduce (for the most part until menopause for the woman or too much damaged sperm for the men!) and take responsibility for their actions! Also, it means knowing (usually) the right and responsible thing to do in life! Yes that mostly takes quite some time but that is why life is long and you don't die off right after your 13th (or in this case 18th) birthday! ...Life is a journey of learning lessons (big and small) and of experiencing and appreciating the good and grieving the bad! Then passing that on to your children! Who will hopefully then pass it on to their children!  

• steve

It is the legal age not necessarily the mental age of every individual.

I know people in their 30's or older, sometimes me included that act like a 15 year old.

The law has to have a set age when someone is classed as an adult.

At 18 some people are ready and as I say some who are 30+ clearly are not.

I don't think it puts unnecessary pressure on young people.

• Dick

I don't know how you can decide by age, how mature a person is. My own kids didn't start to behave as normal human adults until they neared age 40. Before that they were ungrateful, insulting, little ankle biters.

• A.J.

On average, a brain is fully developed at 25 years old. People mature physically, psychologically, and independence at different rates. We don't have the resources to test people's ability to make sound decisions so we use age. Age of sexual consent is younger than 18. In most of the USA, 18 is a legal contract age where signature becomes legally binding. Only in certain university contracts is younger binding.

There are many minimum age numbers and each place has its own set.

My parents owned a cottage in a summer resort area, and at 15 years old, I worked a full time job and stayed on my own during the week with relatives living nearby. I cooked and cleaned up after myself, went to work 6 days at about 7 hours a day.

By 17, I drove and illegally had an alcoholic beverage at a nudie strip club that did not check IDs at the time. Some people are incompetent their whole life.

One generation, the children of Baby Boomers, was shielded in many cases from the bad and good of life and not expected to actually DO anything.

18 year olds should be able to adequately assess candidates for voting, go to war, know right and wrong, and be responsible when making a commitment and that's what contract signing is about. Of course, some can't, but the standard cannot be to the most immature.

• Zirp

if they raised it, not enough people would be young and foolish enough to join the army