Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 8 months ago

How would you feel if your 22 year old daughter is drinking a lot to cope with mental health issues?

Sad, and worried for her. And I'd want to be there for her and help her in whatever way possible. The real issue here isn't the drinking, it's the mental illness and stress. Drinking is a coping mechanism and a symptom, at least at this point. What needs to happen is that she needs to get some help for the underlying issues. But she also has to reach a point where she WANTS to get well, and WANTS to change, otherwise, therapy or treatment will be useless.

• LizB

I'd be wanting to try to help her find help so she can learn better coping mechanisms, but that assumes she'd be receptive to help. 

I would hug her and tell her to stop

Powerless and frustrated by the powerlessness.

Don't have kids. All I can tell you is that drinking is how most people deal with their problems. I personally just prefer to acknowledge that life is bs, unfair, and slaps you across the face when you least expect it. I take it on as life, rather than as a problem. At least when possible.

I'd wonder what the hell I'd been doing the last 22 years to not realize until now that my daughter had mental health issues and a drinking problem. 

Look under her bed and sofa for empty wine and rum bottles, and such.

Drinking solves nothing. It is a sin.