Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

How would you feel if your 22 year old daughter is drinking a lot to cope with mental health issues?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Sad, and worried for her. And I'd want to be there for her and help her in whatever way possible. The real issue here isn't the drinking, it's the mental illness and stress. Drinking is a coping mechanism and a symptom, at least at this point. What needs to happen is that she needs to get some help for the underlying issues. But she also has to reach a point where she WANTS to get well, and WANTS to change, otherwise, therapy or treatment will be useless.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'd be wanting to try to help her find help so she can learn better coping mechanisms, but that assumes she'd be receptive to help. 

• 4 weeks ago

I would hug her and tell her to stop

• 4 weeks ago

Powerless and frustrated by the powerlessness.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Don't have kids. All I can tell you is that drinking is how most people deal with their problems. I personally just prefer to acknowledge that life is bs, unfair, and slaps you across the face when you least expect it. I take it on as life, rather than as a problem. At least when possible.

• 4 weeks ago

I'd wonder what the hell I'd been doing the last 22 years to not realize until now that my daughter had mental health issues and a drinking problem. 

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Look under her bed and sofa for empty wine and rum bottles, and such.

• Gary
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Drinking solves nothing. It is a sin.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.