Is it illegal for a teacher to send an email to a students parents without informing them? ?

I was laughing at a joke my friend made when my teacher took me out of the classroom, moved me to a different seat, and contacted home and did the same to at least 3 other people but i didnt know 🤧👊

I don't believe it is illegal. Your parents have provided their contact information to the school, so the school does have the right to contact them in regards to school, and your performance/behavior at school. 

No. It's not illegal. They are your legal guardians.

informing who? the parents?  they get the email, so that is the act of informing.  the students?  Teacher have a legal role of "substitute parent" (in loco parentis, in place of parent) so not only CAN send reports of behavior of their children, they have an obligation to do so.  They do not have to be written, but written is best because it is proof of notification (never know when a parent might try to pretend they were never informed).  The student has no say in the matter.  An underage student or one still voluntarily living under the supervision of parents even if legally an adult, is a legal child, and the teacher a legal "parent" (serving that role, at least, while the child is doing school-related activities).  The authority lies with the teacher, not the student.

Why on Earth would it be illegal? Think about it, what law would that have breached?

not illegal at all. your parent is responsible for your behavior ... and should be informed when your behavior is lacking, as it was

• Bill

not illegal at all. consider your self lucky that you are still at school

Hahahahahaha

No is the short answer.

• Vicki

No, it's perfectly legal for your teacher to contact your parents to let them know your behaviour is less than ideal in the classroom.

I seriously doubt it. Your parents should be informed that you disrupted the class.

• .

FERPA doesn't apply to K12 when it comes to sharing info with parents.  A high school teacher doesn't need your permission to contact your mom or dad.

• DCM5150

FERPA absolutely applies to K12. Unless you mean that it doesn't apply to the student as they are minors and the rights go to the parent/guardian, then that is true, but to say FERPA doesn't apply is simply wrong.