Roseanna asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Indoor cats out side?

I have a cat who has been indoors for the past 9 months, never been out side, I have never had a indoor cat before he seems sad looking at the door to go outside, do I let him out or not I live near a road leading to rounderbout what cars drive at quite fast, there are few cats i see outside that seem fine, but I also have Neighbours how have lost cats due to road 

You definitely shouldn’t let your cat outside. Outdoor cats are at a much higher risk for injury and death (cars, malicious people, other predators, other sick cats, etc.) as well as very damaging for local ecosystems, as they kill lots of native species and are considered an invasive species. 

If you want your cat to be happy inside, you have to provide plenty of vertical territory (cat shelves, cat trees, etc.), things to scratch, and plenty of enrichment, which can be attained by playing with them, attaching a cat perch to a window near a bird feeder, etc.  

I highly encourage you read Jackson Galaxy’s Total Cat Mojo. It’s a fantastic book that gives you the best info for keeping your feline friend happy. Good luck! 

Source(s): Personal research, fellow cat owner

I have outdoor cats, and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable letting them out if I lived on a busy road.  They mostly know about cars and watch out, but they are also impulsive animals and you never know, so danger sometimes gets ignored by them.

I have had cats that were mostly indoor cats, but who were willing to walk around the yard when I was out there with them, and that is about it for going outside for them.  Cats sometimes get kind of nervous when given new space. Other cats, it is the opposite: won't see them again for hours if you even crack the door an inch. 

Cats can be stubborn though so if you let this one out, he may not come back in until he has had his fill of the outside, and hunger is calling him home. He also may not understand the danger of the road.  That is the big worry, really.  Try going out with him to show your "territory".  He won't exactly respect it, but he will sort of stay there. Mostly, probably.

Then don't let the cat outside. Cats aren't "sad". They're cats.

• Anna

Of course cats have feelings and emotions but if they have never been outside I doubt they really care about outside. A bit like a human who had never been outside they wouldn't know what they were missing so wouldn't care.

Keep them inside always.  They can get rabies (if not vaccinated) and bitten,  etc.  

• Ocimom

Do NOT let your cat outside for any excuse.  Unless you want him to end up as road kill!.  My cats look out the window from their treehouse but have NO desire to run out the door and we live in the country.  

Your cat is much safer INSIDE.

• Eva

Don't let him out. Some cats are savvy about staying out of the road, but others aren't. They'll panic and run right into the path of another car. You don't want him getting into fights with other cats either.

The cat has been inside for a long time that I think it's best to keep him inside and not let him outside.  But if you do want to let him out you can see how he acts with a collar and leash, if it doesn't bother him you can take him out for walks.  I know it's pretty funny but I also have two cats that like to be outside to get some fresh air so i got them used to being on a leash and they love it.

A lot of people do not like cats. I had a litter of kittens in my backyard once. The mother was an alley cat,, and one of them was killed when it was run over by a guy driving a lawn mowing vehicle in a public park across the street. Another one was run over by a car that was parked at the curb. It is dangerous outside the house.

My neighbor's cat climbed a fence and was attacked by 2 pitbulls belonging to another neighbor. The pitbull owner watched the attack and did not even try to stop her dogs from attacking the cat. It was horrible hearing the cat's last cry from the attack before it passed away. Cats do like to explore but it is best to keep them indoors if you do not have a backyard with very high fencing that would keep it from escaping outdoors.

• Anna

Where did it say it was the dog owner's yard? It didn't you just assumed that. It may have been out in public.

If the cat has always been indoors, it would have no clue what to do if it gets outdoors.  It will not know how to get back to your door to come in again.  It will not come if called like a dog.  It would be dangerous for the cat.

They do like to it in the window and watch what happens outside.  But that is different from actually being outside and part of what it happening.

Assuming the cat is neutered, it will be happier being indoors then going out.

And a lot safer.  An inexperience housepet who gets outside will end up as road kill real fast.

• Kyle

don't let them outside.  i have an indoor cat, always have.  they can get lost, dirty, attacked, injured, killed, etc.

sure they may want to go out, but it's hard to bring them back in like dogs.  they are looking outside to see all the birds and other happenings outside.  

i think it's just irresponsible.