Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 months ago

Why does life go on when there is so much suffering?

This morning, I was interrupted in my train journey due to a suicide on the track. I can't imagine the pain that the person must have been in to get to that point, and the thought of sadness stayed in my mind all day. Later on in the day (this evening), I met some of my friends, who were having a house party. All were happy, and without a care in the world - including about the horrible fatality that I was thinking about all day. How can so many people party, or enjoy such care-free lives, whilst such tragedies occur?

Favorite Answer

Because once they are dead it’s over for them. Life continues and time does not stop. So you make the best of the time you have left here because the balance is..

there is so much beauty to behold and a whole planet to explore. I certainly don’t want to join them, so I would say a prayer for them and myself ..then move on.

Everyone is for themselves.

It makes no difference if you don't know them.

• Luby

Because being, sad, scared and worried all the time is not the way to live your life. It's not life worth living. 

You seem like a selfless person and thinking about what you could have done to help them. You absorb other peoples emotions and that is a very kind trait. But you can't always be there for everyone. If it wasn't a someone they knew or were friends with, they feel they are not responsible for their pain.

I agree that some people are more sensitive. Others may care but have a different way of coping, by remaining detached. It's good that some can detach, because they are often in the medical field or some form of rescue. But what has helped me to cope is faith based on what the Bible says about the future. We were never made to suffer, it wasn't in God's purpose. The first human couple rebelled against God's rule, and brought hardship on all their offspring. God has allowed time for mankind to see that they cannot rule themselves. Soon God will bring in His kingdom, His heavenly government, to fix the problems on the earth (Genesis chapter 3, Daniel 2:44, Jeremiah 10:23). For more information see JW.org.

Some people are much more sensitive than others.

because many now are selfish and only think of their own lives and what they can get out of life. quite sad.

Life goes on despite the pain and suffering. My best friend was killed in an auto accident. I remember stopping at a restaurant with other family members after leaving the hospital after she passed. We were all in shock, grief stricken and broken. A child in the next booth was trying to play peek-a-boo with us, the couple next to us was having an argument and the restaurant was noisy. I remember wondering how everything could still be the same. Now sometimes I wonder what others are dealing with when I see them. We never know.

You were traumatized today and that will be with you for a while. But don't expect the world to notice or even care. As terrible as it was for you to be involved, even in a small way, I agree with you. The person who died was miserable and couldn't stand to suffer another moment. I can't imagine being so broken.