Ali asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 3 weeks ago

My gf plugged a hair straightener in ,there was a spark, pop and the outlets went dead. How can I fix this?

I already tried to flip the breakers back but that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what the reason could be?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

buy an new one asap ..

• 3 weeks ago

i can fix it if i want it

• You might have to replace the socket and or the fuse. This happens when I'm using my hair dryer and the room air conditioning unit is on at the same time. All I have to do is flip the breaker switch, turn off the room air conditioner and I'm good to go.

Or have your gf use a lower wattage flat iron. By the way, I'm hoping she's using a heat protector on her hair if she's using flat irons because they can fry her hair and cause damage to her hair. 

• 3 weeks ago

Yeah get her a new straightener don't try to fix that you don't wanna hurt yourself

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

You might want to move this question from Hair to home maintenance. You'll get answers from people with a bit more knowledge of home  electrical systems. And the outlet itself could be fried. I plugged in a portable heater and fried an outlet which needed to be replaced. An electrician needs to look at it and repair it.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If you know the outlet is working after you reset the breaker (test it with something that uses electricity) then the straighter is toast.  Look to see if it has its own circuit or overload button and if so, see if resetting that helps.  Otherwise, it's time for a new one.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

is it a 'ground fault' plug ???

• 3 weeks ago

Your girlfriend shouldn’t live with you. Have your parents look at it.

• Bob
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Depends how old the breakers are, might need to replace them, or you might have blown a mains fuse which will be outside your flat on a communal fuse board

• Ali3 weeks agoReport

Thanks, will check it out

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.