Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 4 weeks ago

I keep getting this sharp pain in my chest area, more info in description ?

So I keep getting this super sharp pain in my chest like above my boob and below my boob, it feel like I’m getting electrocuted in that one area or stabbed and when it happens I can’t move. Or breathe because it hurts so bad. It’s Lasts for about 30seconds to 2 minutes. Should I go to the hospital??? What could it be ? It happens randomly. Also, if I call an ambulance even though it’s not an emergency will they take me to the hospital? I’ve been telling my family about the pain but black families never believe anything’s wrong so my mom won’t take me to the hospital!! She told me to take the bus

typical costochondritis symptoms

I hope that you didn't wait for responses to your question.  Honestly you need to go to the hospital. Women present differently with problems like gallbladder, heart, and lung issues among a whole host of other problems. Please do not ignore the symptoms that you're feeling. Get help!

Don’t get an ambulance, they’re for life threatening incidents e.g loss of consciousness, heart attack. 

I would recommend calling 101 if you want to speak to a medical professional. 

It sounds to me like pericarditis, this can be treated with ibuprofen as that will reduce any swelling 

• Linda

If it hurts that bad take an ambulance. Your family sounds harsh. Good luck.

It's not your heart and you don't need an ambulance. It sounds like a trapped nerve, pulled intercostal muscle or at worst costochondritis. All can be safely treated at home with ibuprofen, heat and avoiding strenuous activity until your symptoms settle. 

Chest pain is only of concern if it;

spreads to your arms, back, neck or jaw

makes your chest feel tight or heavy

also started with shortness of breath, sweating and feeling or being sick

lasts more than 15 minutes

in which case call 911.

See your regular doctor if it continues and you need reassurance.

• kaliyah4 weeks agoReport

I looked up costochondritis and I think thats what it might be 

• martin

Many people live to regret not going to the doctor or the hospital when they know there's something wrong.

• .

That can be symptoms of whiplash after a car accident, which isn't life threatening.  If you're a young lady, it's unlikely you are having a heart attack -- unless you've been doing drugs.  Even so, it's definitely worth getting that checked out.

• Dan

Yes it could be a number of things that could potentially be serious. You need to go to the emergency room.