Do y'all think we ultimately choose worldviews that work for us?

Because I do... And I think that's totally fine! If you cannot get something to work for you, for whatever reason..? You'll eventually reject it.

Do you agree? Or disagree? I know some people are VERY much like: "I chose this purely objectively, based on nothing but cold, hard facts." And maybe some people do, indeed..? Feel free to give me your take on it, if you think you're one of those people. But I think ultimately, if something just REALLY doesn't work for someone, on a mental and/or emotional level..? They'll start looking for something else. Or some way to make the pill easier to swallow. Like, if they can't believe in anything supernatural for rational reasons, but they're still someone who feels a need for spirituality, for instance..? They'll start looking for non-supernatural forms of spirituality. If they've been intellectually convinced that Christianity is true, but it's at odds with who they are, for whatever reason..? They'll start looking for more liberal interpretations of it. Or start questioning / poking holes in it. Yes..?

I guess it's kind of a question, and kind of not. I just want other people's takes on this, basically. Maybe from experience, if you want? Or just generally speaking. But yeah... If more people were willing to admit that we often choose based on what works for us, and that different things work for different people..? Methinks very likely this world would be a much more tolerant place. Spiritually AND otherwise speaking.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

One by Science. But what do you disagree with me about?

• Jake
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Catholicism is the One True Faith and a person can know this with certainty by reciting the rosary every day with care and sincerity.

• 3 weeks ago

I try to question my worldview and improve it as I learn new things.

Most people seem to just accept whatever worldview was put on them at a young age.

• Ron
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

You seem to be a person who searches things through. God wants people to know the truth.

Especially about spiritual matters. This Scripture tells us about God's will - 1 Timothy 2:4 – whose (God’s) will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. - - - - Yes, God' wants us to know the truth. Especially the truth about him. From your comment, I discern that you have examined some things that claimed to be of a spiritual nature, or supernatural. But maybe you found them to be false, or not reliable. So, you would probably agree that we need a reliable source to be able to depend on when it comes to these things, things of a spiritual nature. Or of a supernatural nature. Please consider what this Scripture says about where we can find solid, reliable answers to questions about such things. The truth about such things - John 17:17 - Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth. - - - - So here, Jesus tells us that God's word is truth. But again, we need to examine things closely. The Bible tells us that we need to examine what we are told, or what we read, or what we take into our minds, to make sure we are actually getting TRUTH. Accurate knowledge. And the Scriptures themselves tell us why that is so important. Because God has an enemy. An enemy that does not want people to know the truth about God. This enemy actually slanders God. Note this Scripture in God's word of truth that tells us about this enemy's efforts to blind people to the truth - 2 Corinthians 4:4 - among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. - - - - We should not be surprised that this enemy would disseminate false information about God. Much like marketers do today that try to get people to believe certain things about their product. So that they will be influenced to buy their specific product. Even though it may not do all that they claim. God's enemy Satan does something similar. He uses false religion to mislead people. Note this warning found in God's word of truth - 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 – 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works. - - - - This makes things more understandable as to why there are so many different religions all teaching so many different things. And clearly, all their conflicting teachings cannot be the truth. Nor accurate knowledge.

The Bible further tells us about those that try to twist the Scriptures to mean what they want - 2 Peter 3:16. . . and these things the ignorant and unstable are twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. - - - - But God's word of truth, again, gives the answer to help us to get the truth, to get an accurate knowledge from his word of truth. Note the guidance that the Scriptures give to help us make sure we are getting accurate knowledge - Acts 17:11 . . . carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. - - - - Since God's word is truth, we can examine it carefully to make sure what we are getting is really accurate knowledge. The truth. And the Scriptures tell us to use our ability to reason on matters. You would probably agree that often the truth has a ring to it, so to speak. Some things just don't add up when we reason on them. Note this Scripture - Job 12:11 Does not the ear test out words As the tongue tastes food? - - - - We can tell when we put something in our mouth, and it just doesn't taste right. Likewise with our reasoning ability. When we hear something, we can tell that it just doesn't sound right. Especially when we compare it with God's word of truth, as the Scripture quoted above states at Acts 17:11. We also have another avenue of help when it comes to making sure we get the truth about spiritual matters. This is a most powerful aid. Note what God is called in this Scripture - Psalm 65:2 - O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come. - - - - This Scripture indicates that we need to turn to God himself, in making sure that we get accurate knowledge about him, his purposes, and his will for us. When we turn to God in prayer, he can use his holy spirit to guide us in what we learn. Or what we understand his word to mean. That is why it is so important to examine the Scriptures, the Bible as a whole. Because the truth cannot be contradictory. Otherwise, it could not possibly be the truth. So, if someone tells you that the Bible is contradictory, you can tell by examining it closely. Because God's word of truth is not contradictory. Period! It is in complete harmony throughout the whole Bible. If we see something that appears to be contradictory, we need to do a little more digging. Just as you indicate in your question/comment. And just as Acts 17:11 indicates. We need to examine things more thoroughly. And turn to God in prayer to help us know the truth. To have accurate knowledge. Another Scripture I'd like to share with you is where God himself tells us how beneficial his word is for us - Isaiah 48:17 & 18 - 17 This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: “I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk. 18 If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea. - - - - If you have any questions about the name, Jehovah, you can dispel these questions as well. Using the same method as described in the foregoing. Note another passage describing the benefit of God's word - 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 - 16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. - - - - Scriptural knowledge is so beneficial. There is no greater treasure to be found. Bible truth liberates us from superstition, confusion, and morbid fear. It gives us hope, purpose, and joy. Jesus said: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”​—John 8:32. - - - - Yes, we can KNOW the TRUTH. And the truth sets us free from all sorts of false religious teachings. The Bible also gives us the answer to the question as to WHY has God allow wickedness to go on so long? It also tells us that God does have a time limit set. To bring an end to all wickedness. A time when he is going to remove all causes of suffering. Note a few of these Scriptural promises - Proverbs 2:21 & 22 - 21 For only the upright will reside in the earth, And the blameless will remain in it. 22 As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth, And the treacherous will be torn away from it. - - - - That doesn't sound like a rapture for all good people does it? Instead, it indicates that the wicked are the ones that are going to be removed from the earth. Note further - Psalm 37:10 & 11 - 10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. - - - - That's what Jesus said too - Matthew 5:5 - Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth. - - - - How long? - Psalm 37:29 - The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it. - - - - What will conditions for mankind be like then? Revelation 21:4 - And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. - - - - HOW CLOSE are we to these promises being fulfilled? Look around the whole world today and compare it to this Scripture - Psalm 92:7 - When the wicked sprout like weeds And all the wrongdoers flourish, It is that they may be annihilated forever. - - - - Wickedness and wrongdoing are more rampant on this planet that ever before in mankind's history! We must be getting close! Note one more thing that Jesus said would happen before the end of all wickedness comes - Matthew 24:14 - And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - - - - This good news (just as the foregoing information includes) is being preached right now in 240 lands around the globe. It is available online in over 950 languages! We must be getting close to the end of all wickedness and suffering. God never destroys anyone without first giving them a warning, and an opportunity to change. Thus, the good news also includes the warning message that all wicked ones will be destroyed. Even though that is not good news for them, it certainly is for everyone who longs for an end to wickedness and suffering. - - - - I sincerely hope that the foregoing reasoning has a ring of truth to your ears. It can all be examined closely in God's word of truth. There are also free Bible lessons available online, and you don't even have to give out your email address to engage. As the Scripture states at Acts 17:11, ALWAYS examine the Scriptures carefully in order to make sure you are getting the truth. This is how true faith is obtained. By PROVING the truth to yourself, as Jesus words indicate at John 8:32, quoted above. The free Bible lessons are available here:

www.jw.org

Source(s): Holy Scriptures
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mack
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Only if you are willing and strong enough to break free of familial and cultural programming.... The vast majority of people have the same religion as their parents.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, it's something I've said for a while now.  Not that it hasn't happened, but I've never met someone say they chose their religion because--though it was inconvenient and even mildly disgusted them--"I can't argue with the fact it's true."

Reprobates & backsliders who fall away  for reasons of disgust or disagreement but struggle with still believing are the closest. But the difference is they realize their belief+disagreement at the OUT DOOR not at the IN DOOR. If they choose to stay in, often they go back to agreeing with the religion.  Often they just shift to a different religion or nondenominational practice. 

Deconverted atheists who had to struggle in crises of faith are also close to people who WANTED a religious world view, WANTED God but had to face reality they didn't believe. Tears and begging in private prayer. But they had to face the world view they didn't want.

Is it good people choose what they want? Yes and no. Yes  if they choose love. No  if they choose to back up their hate and ignorance and bigotry. 

• yesmar
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Indeed.  We all have our own “map” but none of them are the actual “territory”, they’re our best representation of reality.

• 3 weeks ago

Go to Jw.org where u will find answers from the bible.

• If I weren't so against reporting people, I would report this as spam. It's not an answer to my question at ALL! Anyways... Do I come across as someone who would be interested in becoming a JW? You moron.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.