Am I entitled to compensation if my neighbours nearly killed us with a gas leak by building on a gas mains making it collapse?

Next door neighbours built an extension over a mains gas pipe and it collapsed creating a gas leak. If the leak had not been noticed it could of ended in catastrophey. Ie. Gas explosion, suffocation. The leak got noticed and the gas company came around and switched us off and had to reroute the pipe work causing stress and a big Inconvenience. What would my claim to a solicitor be and is there a case here. 

Attachment image

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Your claim to a solicitor would simply be to describe what happened, how it inconvenienced you, and how it made you feel.

The solicitor will then tell you whether you are likely to have a valid claim against anyone and how best to proceed.

A few things to consider: your neighbour had no way to know about the gas main. The builders will also likely have no way to know unless accurate plans showed the exact location and depth of the gas main. But the fact that the leak was rapidly identified and correctly dealt with to prevent danger means that at no time were you at genuine risk of losing your life. Utility companies themselves often have incomplete or inaccurate plans as to the exact location of their sub-surface pipes and power lines, that’s because sometimes those items were laid down long before anyone had ways to accurately log their locations. It’s also because other agents often move them a little without authorisation during other civil engineering works. So contractors digging to repair or install a water pipe might simply move a power cable or a modern plastic gas pipe a foot or so one way or another during work and then not put them back in the exact same place when backfilling their excavations.

So your claim is highly likely to be directly against the gas company for the inconvenience of a few hours of loss of supply. If the claim is a bit more and needs a solicitor to intervene then your legal costs may well exceed anything you get. You aren’t going to get rich on this, and it’s not going to even pay for a modest holiday.

Utility lines get damaged every hour of every day by permitted developments, and Courts are aware of that. They’re also aware of the massive negative impact it would have on future developments if a precedent was set where every single incident could lead to lawsuits, despite contractors taking all reasonable care to prevent such incidents and to respond effectively to mitigate the effects of those which do inevitably occur.

But don’t take my word for it. Check your home/car insurance and also any trade union membership you have to see if you have legal claims coverage. Then use that to consult a solicitor. If you have no coverage then many solicitors offer a free initial half hour consultation. If they genuinely see a potential claim they’ll let you know. Even if it’s too low for them to be profitably involved with.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

< and it collapsed creating a gas leak >

BS, that line would already have to have been badly corroded.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Why would anyone in your household miss TWO DAYS work over this?  Your neighbors did not NEARLY kill you as nothing happened to you.  

Did they have the proper permits and the grounds marked before they did the construction?

Your words are ill advised if you are even thinking about (hopefully you do not make a fool of yourself) suing anyone.  Life happens including incidents just like this on a daily basis so chill and stop trying to collect a lottery payout when you do not even have a ticket! 

• 4 weeks ago

Not enough information to determine whether you have a case. You might have one. It's for a solicitor to decide, not the general public.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You have no case for anything.

• 4 weeks ago

You have ZERO actual damages.

You are entitled to exactly that amount of compensation.

• 4 weeks ago

None. You would have to prove actual monetary damages and actual permanent medical issues arising from the stress, and good luck proving that. Crap happens in life and you don't get compensated for it. Be thankful there wasn't an explosion and no one actually got hurt and stop going through life looking at every inconvenience as a possible paycheck.

• 4 weeks ago

You are only entitled to any financial losses as a result of the incident.

• 4 weeks ago

It's funny how an -- "Am I entitled to compensation"-- question ,tells us all we need to know about a person .

• 4 weeks ago

"Am I entitled to compensation..." You are entitled to your actual losses. "it could of ended in catastrophey" True, but it did not. No big pay day for you.

"causing stress and a big Inconvenience. " What is your stress worth? Unless you racked up a bunch of mental health expenses, nothing. Inconvenience? What ever it cost to deal with it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"Almost" and "could have happened" are not grounds for a lawsuit.  You would sue for monetary damages.  What are your monetary damages?

• Karen4 weeks agoReport

My wife lost 2 days wages is this classed as monetary

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.