Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 4 weeks ago

Is it possible to get to the High Arctic through Canada is this a good trip plan?

If I travel by train from Ohio to Chicago illinois, Chicago to minneappokis Minneapolis to Fargo and grand florks, ride a bus from grand forks to Winnipeg, and the. Ride a train through the pas, Thompson and on to Churchill. 

Churchill is as far north as the train will go and I would then take what I presume is an Alaska style ferry system on the Nunavut Hudson Bay coast through Arviat, chesterfield inlet rankin inlet, whale cove and hall beach and igloolik. I would then probably go by ship to Arctic Bay, Resolute and Griese Fjord. From there the only way to travel is alert is presulably by dog sled.

Upon arriving in alert one could get to the arctic ice pack, round up some reindeer, hitch them to a sleigh and make the final few hundred miles to the North Pole.

Would this get one to the North Pole village to see penguins, northern lights, northern elves, snowmen, polar bears, and would it be a nice place to be for Christmas Eve?

Is it possible to get to the High Arctic through Canada  YES

is this a good trip plan? NO

Doubtful you have really done any research on travel to Northern Canada.

My maps of train routes show trains that go North of Churchill.

Suggest you get a better rail map.

Carcross, Yukon is NORTH of Churchill.

I would then take what I presume is an Alaska style ferry system on the Nunavut Hudson Bay coast through Arviat, chesterfield inlet Rankin inlet, Whale cove , Hall beach and Igloolik.

You PRESUME wrong.

From there the only way to travel is alert is presulably by dog sled.

In attempting to comprehend this part be advised there is an AIRPORT that services Alert.

Can YOU get on a plane to there maybe but doubtful.

Dog Sled?  Doubtful you would be able to find someone willing to take you on this one to week one way sled trip. You would need to cover the costs of feeding the dogs for the journey both ways and for their rest period before the return.

Dog Food is not cheap in Alert.

@Capital Gentleman lives in the North and has been to Alert.

No.  It can't be done.  You can get to Churchill, but, that's it.  No ferries at all there.  Better to drive to Dawson City, and take the Demptster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk.  You can at least be on the Arctic Ocean.  To go any further from there, you would need to take a plane.

And, you cannot take a ship to Alert, as it is above the permanent ice pack, although with Climate Change, it might be possible in a few years, but, only in the summer (and, usually not even then).

• martin

The North and South Poles are intriguing to many people. Only the cold is preventing tourists. If a tour could be organized so that tourists could stay comfortable, there would be many fascinated enough to get into such an excursion.