Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 4 weeks ago

What are the best space heaters for small and medium rooms, oil or ceramic ?

Oil. Ceramic heaters have exposed parts that get hot enough to start fires. Oil heaters have the hot elements inside the oil, which conducts the heat to the outside. It does not get hot enough to start a fire.

Ceramic is safer, because its fire proof. 

Electricity produces 3.4 btu's per watt/hour. So a 1500 watt heater puts out 5120 btu's. Some release slowly into the room (like oil filled), others like the dish style "IR" dishes use light to transmit heat, so it will heat items in the room to then heat the room. Different people have different preferences. Different ways, but electricity has a defined amount of energy. A $25 little shoe box fan will put out the same heat per watt as a $300 fancy fake fireplace.

see this one??.AVOID IT AT ANY coSThttps://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1500-Watt-Utili...

it seemed a good buy in having a metal vs plastic housing,,, once evening as I nodded off in bed,,thing was running OK on low, the magnet  brushes surrounding the coil broke,shattered,is a couple seconds,,it caught FIRE,I bolted outa the sack.pulled the plug,tossed the thing onto the garden sidewalk,,piece of crapola... ,several companies make of import the same device,

any of them plastic  or metal housed small heaters,, they break in about a year,,toss them,,buy another,then tell the company on facebook their stuff is lousy,,then get 'an apology you had a bad experience from the robo company answerman on duty

amazon carries these https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-ComforTem...

all I wanted was a lousy  pic of the radiator shaped device,,u click on the URL copy it, you get amazons guttenburg bible of everything  stuff

Pick anything and it will work.

• elhigh

In my experience the oil rads are the best for the typical room.  They're silent, they can be turned to lower heat settings (more on that in a minute) and often have useful features.

Infrared heaters like "Trump 2020" (God forbid) describes are nice in that they provide an instant result, and they also do well for heating exactly what you want to heat: you.  If you can find one whose output can be turned down so that you don't get overheated, that may well be a good way to go.

But they're bad fire hazards.  If you can count on yourself to only leave them on while you're there, and always turn them off when you leave the room (and that's no big deal, since they heat up instantly), then maybe that will work for you.

But I like the oil rads.  They're less precise than the infrared, they heat air.  So they warm up the entire room they're in.  They need some time to heat up and heating the air takes time too - if having the heat right now is a must, maybe the rad isn't your best bet.

A lot of the electric radiators have built in timers, so if you know your schedule you can simple set it to come on a little before you're likely to want heat, and it'll be getting comfortable at about the time you arrive.

The adjustable heat output is important too.  Don't like temperature swings?  Turn the heat to a lower setting.  The temperature will climb more slowly and not overshoot the comfort level as far.  Longer, slower waves with shallower peaks means less time spent feeling too hot, then too cool, etc. It'll be closer to just right all the time.

I have an oil filled heater that I don't use any more, because it takes forever to heat up. I like one that starts putting out heat instantly. I have one now that looks like a satellite dish, and when I turn it on, that sucker is red hot in about 3 seconds, and throwing out some SERIOUS heat. 

I prefer oil-fill rads, but I doubt there is much to choose from.

I think you will find that a ceramic heater will work just fine. They are usually less expensive and take up less space.