Why is turkey extra cheap this year?

I love "Turkey Season", mid November through December when turkey is cheaper than chicken, typically offered to attract shoppers for the other holiday necessities. But last year Turkey was priced at 59 to 79 cents per pound, and now it is priced at 33-40 cents per pound. My question is WHY?

Supply and demand.

I do remember something about turkey’s being more expensive than usual last year.

I don’t pay much attention to the price of commercial turkey’s, I like to get Deistel, preferably the organic ones.

turkeys are ready to harvest at this time of year and if there were issues with the main suppliers last year, the price would be up..if all went well and there is an abundance of turkeys, the price is down.

• denise

Not sure, perhaps there are more producers / farms in the business these days?

Maybe there’s more of them

Lol it's cheap because family's fight more

A lot of turkeys must have hatched and grown well over the last year or so, so now we have a surplus of turkeys! I was wondering about that, too...ground turkey where I'm at is usually $5.99 or so, but it's been $3.99 and lower the last 6 months. We just got a good year, so stock up :) 

• JJ

It has to do with supply and demand.  More turkeys available in the grocery stores means lower prices.  

• CB

You are just finding good holiday prices - here is the USDA report on the price of turkeys ending Nov 8 it is more than last year btw.

• linkus86

Wow … thanks for the info.  It just didn't cross my mind to look up the USDA, or really even how once I got there.  A good link is really valuable.  Thanks

Supply and demand. There must be a glut of Turkey on the market which is driving prices down.