Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 3 weeks ago

How to drink wine?

I've never had wine before. Usually when I have vodka, I'd drink it mixed with soda like coke or mountain dew (e.g. pouring vodka into a McDonald's plastic cup filled with coke and ice. Is it okay to do that with wine?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Wine and Coke? lol nope nope nope nope nope

• 3 weeks ago

Don’t ruin good wine by mixing it. Wine is not a mixer, it is meant to be enjoyed as it is. 

• 3 weeks ago

I think that just drinking it by itself is the way to go because mixing wine is gonna make it taste weird. It's not like liquor you don't need to dilute the taste of it. If you don't like the taste of it you just try a different kind next time you drink. It's all trial and error just like with anything else in life.

• 3 weeks ago

If you mix wine with a sparkling water it’s a wine spritzer. This is fine with less costly wines. I would not ruin a fine wine by doing this to it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It is if it's from Boone Hill or another similar 'fine' winery.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Some people like to drink a white wine spritzer, which is a way of having a light refreshing drink without the sweetness of fruit drinks or cola - mix white wine with sparkling water, adding ice if you like. But that's not really how to drink wine!

• Sparky
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

It's not the 'done thing' to drink wine with ice or mixer drinks.

But that doesn't mean you can't if you want to.

You might find that you enjoy wine with a splash of lemonade on ice.

Just expect a few odd looks if you do that's all...lol

• 3 weeks ago

No. You'll want to drink wine without a mixer unless you're making sangria which is kind of like a wine based fruit punch. If you want a recipe I have a nice one for both red and white wine, even a hot wine recipe which is great around a fire pit

• Clive
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You just drink it as it is.  It is NOT for mixing.  And definitely no ice - you can't taste anything if it's ice-cold.

Spirits such as vodka are so strong you need something to dilute them with, but not wine.

There are a few things you can do with wine, such as half champagne, half orange juice to make a Buck's Fizz,  or have hot red wine with some mild spices in it - that's mulled wine or Glühwein (good for a winter party),but otherwise, drink it just as it is, at room temperature or slightly chilled.

It's also best with food.  A lot gets written about what is best with what, but you can't go wrong with the general rule of red wine with red meat, white wine with white meat or fish.  A good pairing makes both taste better.

• 3 weeks ago

You need a wine glass, one with a large mouth. The wine needs to breathe (react with air) so after you pour it into the glass, give it a swirl. 

You drink wine by itself and at room temperature. You don’t mix it with ice or anything else because that will dilute the taste. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.