Is there something wrong if I like shopping?

I'm a girl and it's common for girls to like shopping. I am influenced by Youtube, Instagram and Pinterest on the clothes and home decor I buy.

There are a few problems: first, my dad always tells me to budget. He undoubtedly has a point, as it is foolish to spend for the sake of it. However, my income is $150 below the poverty line and I can only do the best I can. In fact there are people out there who spend than I do in a week, and no one is lecturing them.

Second, I shop as an activity. As a teen, I did shop a lot to fill an emotional void in me as I had low self-worth. Now as striving young adult, I am more self-confident and only shop if there is a purpose. I don't buy things to impress, but to keep my home warm, inviting and secure - which is what every person wants, right? Also I hope my outlook on life will inspire others and help with bonding.

So based on the issues, is my shopping habits OK as long as I keep up yo date with rent?

I mean, is my shopping activities OK as long as I stay up to date with paying rent, food, etc?

This isn't a practical coping mechanism going forward as spending all your money instead of saving and planning for the future will leave you destitute. It's one thing to work as a teen and spend your money on things you need and want. But to establish this as a lifelong pattern of stress relief verges on the pathological. Unless you have the means to earn a lot of money you're not going to be able to shop your way out of your emotional problems (and mass amounts of credit card debt will only make those emotional problems worse).

I recommend you watching the documentary "The true cost", it may change a little your perspective.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong when it comes to buying something you're going to use. However, many people (especially girls) tend to spend huge amounts of money on things they don't really need and will end up in a rubbish bin in a matter of weeks. 

Unfortunately, clothing brands only care about money, so they do their best to brainwash the customer (and they're very skilled at doing so) so they get convinced that they'll become happier after buying an item. 

The result is: you lose money, somebody is exploited (most clothes we buy in Europe and the U.S. are produced in factories from 3rd world countries) and the planet is destroyed (plant fertilizers and pesticides, chemicals used in clothing manufacturing, deforestation to grow cotton plants). 

No, I don't see anything wrong.

When I was young and newly married, our tv stand was the box the tv came in. Today, we are financially well off today (some 30+ years later) because we did not spend frivolously and still don't. We sometimes wait for months to buy things we want on sale. I will agree that when we were young and poor that we needed to spend a little each weekend (no more that $50) in order to prevent splurge spending by not doing this. We don't have the need today because we have accumulated so much over the years, we can go for weeks without needing to spend. What I will say is that there are always cheaper alternatives, such as garage sales and thrift shops. Many people place their wants as their "needs", which is wrong. People need very little if you are trying to be practical. Your shopping activities are not okay if all it takes is one emergency to put you into debt. When you are in debt, you become a slave to that debt.

• Gert

You're just being foolish.

• Cogito

No, it's not wrong to enjoy buying the occasional item, but to call it an 'activity' is rather pathetic and shallow.  But something when you actually NEED it.

I have no idea how you could think that your "outlook on life will inspire others and help with bonding".  I mean, bonding with whom?  How can shopping be an inspiration? 

It's also not good to admit that you could be influenced by social media on the things you buy.  That shows a lack of originality on your part and makes you sound like a fashion victim and a follower.  Wear what YOU like and style your home how YOU want - not how some random, conceited 'influencer' says you should.

Make sure you save anything you can.  if you're ever out of work or sick or even one day when you get old, you'll be very grateful if you have a good sum put away.

I am a guy, and I like shopping!  Of course, I am very careful with money, and only spend within my means, but, I used to enjoy looking around in shopping centres back when I lived where they were.  Even now, living in the far north, shopping is still fun for me.  I like seeing the new stuff that is out there!  For me, however, buying is an entirely different thing!

• mokrie

If your not putting something in savings each paycheck then your spending too much and foolishly. If you break a leg tomorrow and can't work could you pay your bills? That is why everyone should have 6 months of rent and bills in the bank and if you don't your a fool with your money.

I guess spending disposable income is okay as long as you have 6 months salary saved up for an emergency (i.e. losing your job) and you have made provision for your retirement. 

The sooner you start the easier your life will be in your later years.

• reme_1

You have to plan your spending or one day there will be an emergency and you won't have any money to take care of it.