Does using the word "metric" in this sentence make sense? "Instagram likes are used as a metric to gauge populatiry?"?

I think a better word would be merit, but I'm curious if this works too?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, it makes sense. Merit does not make sense in this sentence. 

Metric refers to a key indicator, or measure. In this case, metric refers to "measure of popularity". So it makes sense.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Basis or standard...........

• 3 weeks ago

"metric" has become widely used to mean making numerical measures of usage of an online site. It's just part of the jargon of the field. If you interview for a job with a company that has an online site, they may ask you what you know about metrics, and how to gather and analyze the data. 

• 3 weeks ago

metric in its jargonistic meaning of "measurement", a way to quantify something.  Merit would not work, no.  the idea is that you want something which is not subjective as a way to define value (value being "popularity" in this example).  How popular?  Not "very", but instead "X likes per submission".  Whether being popular has merit is a separate discussion.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JOHN
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"Instagram likes are used as an indicator of popularity."

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, but it's unnecessary. Gauge means much the same. Why say it twice?  Leave out 'as a metric' and the sentence means exactly the same thing. Merit is not correct at all in that sentence.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Metric is correct. Popularity is typo'ed.

Metric definition in this use is "standard of measure"

Merit is not correct in the sentence, but can be used with Instagram likes.

The number of Instagram likes is an indication of merit of the statement or photo.

• ?3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the reply. Good call on the typo--that obviously wasn't intended. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No, I think you're looking for the word meter. Metric is incorrect. Meters are what gauge things. Like electricity meter or water meter, for example.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.