Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

is a stock pot worth the investment?

Investment? One of my local stores sells a 12-quart one for $30. Depends how much you plan to use one. On the other hand, sometimes a large pot is the only thing that will work at all, they don't need to cost much although they can if you carefully select a very expensive one, and unless you drop it off the 20th floor you will have it for the rest of your life. And be able to leave it to your grandchildren.

Are you talking about a Crock Pot? Assuming that's the case (?): I have one but don't use it very much just because I am not really in the practice of making dinner in the morning. The results of using it have been very good, especially for comfort foods and meat that needs long cooking times for tenderness. The big negative point for a Crock Pot is that they are very big and take a lot of storage space. I'm a foodie so my kitchen cabinets are already packed, the space required for a Crock Pot s prohibitive.

a stock pot is just any old big pot.

do you cook large amounts? Do you have a large family?

then yes, a big pot is a good investment.

If its just you, any 3 quart pot will make plenty of stock.

• John

Years ago I bought a pro quality pasta pot - one with a screen inside and it actually has a steamer too, that I've never used.  More like $100 and the thing weighs 20 pounds or something.  We entertain a couple of times a year. Of course the pot can be used for a couple of gallons of soup, too. Best investment I ever made. Well, the frypan that's of comparable quality gets more use.....

I use mine for gumbo and lumpia all the time so in my case yes. If you dont make large amounts of foods like that or your own stock, it can just be a waste of space. Evaluate how many times you'll actually need to use one and figure out if it's worth the $50+ for a nice one that will last

• audrey

If you make a lot of soup/stock, or cook big meals, fro example, a couple dozen ears of corn, yes. It would be a very good investment.