I'm at a friends house and another visitor comes. When they come in, should I stand to greet them and extend my hand? Or do I remain seated?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

remain seated with your feet on the coffee table

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That's up to the host, to introduce you, if they fail to do so, then you may introduce yourself. You don't have to be so formal, at a friends house, a hello, and my name is, is fine, without the standing and handshake.

• LM440
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you already know this person rise and greet.  If you do not have a relationship with this person allow the host to perform the introductions.  Then make the greeting personal.

• 1 month ago

You always stand to meet new people and extend your hand. I'm so sorry your parents did not teach you better.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont see anything wrong with greeting them

• 1 month ago

Standing up or not standing up is less important than showing you NOTICED them.

If it's an older person, I usually stand up, but don't hold out my hand unless or until I'm actually introduced.But if it's a younger person, I look at them and smile, and get ready to stand up if it seems necessary.

The main thing is not to ignore them.

• 1 month ago

Ultimately, what is comfortable for you. There is no one golden rule to follow.

• 1 month ago

Hmmm... good question

It doesnt look bad if you just remain seated. Bc you dont really know them nor you didnt wait for them to come in.

And if you stand and greeting them. That is not a bad idea either.

Just flow with your mind.

• 1 month ago

Proper manners would dictate standing and shaking hands especially if one of the new arrivals is female.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That'd. B up to you.......

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.