Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 4 weeks ago

Are band better off having popular Albums or Popular songs ?

For example :

BANDS LIKE THE STROKES HAVE 3 ALBUMS THAT WERE IN THE TOP 5 IN AMERICA BUT DONT HAVE A SINGLE SONG IN THE TOP 40 ONLY JUICEBOX IN 93

Update:

*bands

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The Strokes were a subpar band. 

"Are band better off having popular Albums or Popular songs 

"Its really up to the band or the artist. People can chose what they listen to now with the click of a button. And artists can record a single or an entire f1cking album for a fraction of the cost than they would have been able to 30 years ago. 

So if you really are into making music for the music. There has never been a better time. 

But if you are in it expecting superstardom, you are in for some big dissapointment in life AND you better get in line and wait your turn for your 1 second of fame. Because thats all you are going to get.

And you are only as good as what you continuousely keep uploading on soundcloud, youtube, and Bandcamp. Soon as you start slacking and missing a days worth of content, you are buried. Forgotten.

Source(s): nothing
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The music industry that we have today is nothing like the music industry that we had years ago. Everything is completely different. And it's not just with music that we can see these changes - it's happened with art, with films, with television, with books, it's all across the board. So we can't really say that having a hit song is better than having a hit album because people don't acquire their music the way they used to, nor do they get their television, their films or their reading material the way they did in the past. 

What does it mean to have a "hit single" today in the closing weeks of 2019? Does that mean that your song is being downloaded more than other songs are being downloaded? How many people still purchase physical copies of albums anyway? I mean, I do - I have an extensive collection of vinyl records, cassette tapes and CDs, but many people don't even own record players, tape decks, CD players or stereo systems anymore. They own digital music players or they use their computers to play music. So the nature of how we measure which songs are the most popular has completely changed. 

We're living in an era where people don't need to own a television set anymore because they can access anything they want to watch on a tablet or on their laptop or PC... Radio stations have largely disappeared and most places have been left with only a handful of stations because satellite radio and streaming services have made them obsolete. So if there's no radio airplay, how can we gauge what people want to hear? If physical copies of records are not being sold - or are being sold in numbers that are infinitesimal compared to what they were ten or twenty years ago, how can these things be measured? 

Down at my local, we've had the same jukebox selection for years. It was the talk of the town when the owner replaced it with a more modern model, and while we gained some new selections, it was essentially the same standard fare. But every time I'm down the pub these days, these young lads just want to pipe the fecking YouTube through the speakers. They queue up these horrid songs and it's just one after the next after the next. These tracks have millions of views online, but not a single person owns a physical copy of the song. Why bother? Practically every song that's been recorded in the 21st Century can be found online, and nearly all of them can be found for free. 

So how do bands make money? Concert tickets? T-shirts? The essence of music as a business and as an industry has completely changed. 

Eventually something will have to give. There will inevitably be a resurgence of real music being recorded by real musicians because real music fans will want to return to the way people used to enjoy music in a more personal, tangible, natural manner. I don't know when that's going to happen, but it will have to happen because this nonsense is just imbecilic. 

To better answer your question, I think that most people who are interested in modern music that's being released today don't particularly care about "albums", they drift from one song to the next because they don't have the attention span to listen to an entire album and they don't listen to music to be able to appreciate it, they listen to it as an accompaniment for their vapid, vacuous, shallow, superficial existences. 

We're living in an era where music is just one fad blending into the next one. Songs that get one billion views are simply forgotten and some other rubbish offering takes its place. 

What was the last truly excellent album that was released in ANY genre that could rival the kind of music that was relatively commonplace in decades past? Most modern music of all types is inferior to what we had years ago. Will that change? Well, that depends on us. It depends on whether or not we ever demand an improvement in quality, a step up in terms of substance, an increase in the level of talent. 

Considering that the quality of films and books have taken an obvious nosedive, I don't hold out hope that it's going to change anytime soon.    

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.