Is it possible to be sick with the flu twice in a month?

About two weeks ago, I got the stomach flu and it was really bad. I then got over it. Now, I came down with the regular flu yesterday and had body aches, a fever, and a horrible sore throat. Is it possible to get sick that quickly? I am a healthy 27 year old female. What could be causing this?

• keerok

There are lots of flu strains so yes, you can be hit twice, thrice, or more a month and worse, you can have two or more types infecting you at the same time.

• audrey

Cause? Not getting your flu shot like you should have.

The “stomach flu” and the flu (influenza) are caused by completely unrelated viruses. It is absolutely possible to have both in a short time period.

• Laurie

Unless you have been diagnosed as the result of a lab test, you cannot know that you had the flu - either time. People call all sorts of illnesses the flu, when in reality, the flu is a very specific, serious, and often debilitating illness.

See a doctor.