Billy asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

My dog is loud and hyper during the night, what should I do about this?

I have a Goldendoodle puppy, about 6 months old, and he continuously barks during the night. I've tried letting him sleep in bed with me, sleeping on the couch in the living room, and sleeping in his kennel, but every time he just barks and barks. I take him outside to go to the restroom, but that only quiets him for about 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure he's getting enough exercise during the day.I take him for daily walks and trips to the dog park, and I even take him for a small walk before I go to bed, so I don't think lack of exercise is the problem. 

The thing is, he's pretty well-behaved during the day. He has his ups and downs, because he's a puppy after all, but a majority of the time he's not too bad. It's just at night when he gets crazy and loud. Will he grow out of this? Does anyone have any tips for helping him sleep at night?

Favorite Answer

You should try kennel training. It feels harsh, but it’s very helpful in the long-run. I have a golden retriever who we also got pretty young. We bought her an appropriately sized crate, which we put her in every night as a puppy. She would whine and cry, and occasionally soil herself. She learned that in order to not have to sit in her soil, she had to hold her bladder through the night. She also learned whining would not get her any attention. It took maybe a month, but she was finally able to sleep through the night without spoiling herself and without whining/crying. After a second month in the crate for reinforcement, we slowly expanded her sleeping space to getting blocked into the basement, and eventually to the whole house at night. She now sleeps anywhere she wants and she sleeps without whining or making messes. Idk that this method is full proof for all dogs, but it has worked well for the 3 dogs I have owned.

You got an ill-bred mutt from a backyard breeder and now want to b!!!!tch because it has behavior issues. You deserve exactly what you get for supporting a low-life breeder.

melatonin is good for nervous energy

maybe try some calming chews or scent therapy.  

Zesty Paws Stress & Anxiety Calming Bites with Suntheanine & Hemp Peanut Butter Flavor Soft Chews Dog Supplement - Helps dogs feel calm and comfortable with natural blend of nutrients and plants, without drugs or drowsy side effects.

Rescue Remedy Stress Relief Pet Supplement - Well-known by pet parents for safe, natural stress relief and recommended by veterinarians for calming your cat or dog during stressful situations

Thundershirt Classic Dog Anxiety Jacket - Backed by science: Dr. Temple Grandin and other leading behavior scientists studied ThunderShirt and found it effectively calms dogs

does he like toys?  i'd get him a good-sized, non-squeaky stuffed dog-safe toy and only give it to him at night.  take it away in the morning and put it in the closet so he doesn't see it during the daytime.  

PetZu Mother's Comfort Heartbeat Pet Pillow - Realistic sounding heartbeat and warmth helps puppies to relax and sleep naturally

SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy - “Real-feel” pulsing heartbeat and heat pack calm by appealing to natural instincts

it's not letting me post the links.

• sealamb4 weeks agoReport

utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Rescue%20Remedy&utm_term=&show-search=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76KVp9ry5QIVghh9Ch0ZSwjkEAQYAiABEgKU-PD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/ThunderShirt-Anxiety-Jacket-Heather-Large/dp/B0028QK6EY

euthanasia........

"6 month old puppy barking at night" google search. Results .......

https://www.google.com/search?q=6+month+old+puppy+...

"stop excessive barking" google it.

Please, I beseech you to use a shock collar. 

• Jojo

I beseech YOU to stop anwering all questions with `use a shock collar`. You sound  about 10 years old.

• Ocimom

The walk before bed is not enough.  Also add in about 15 mins of play time before bed and see if that helps.

asleep all day awake all night .... put simply.

try tiring the dog out in the daytime and it will then sleep at night .....( Tired puppies are good puppies...)

You don't have a Goldendoodle because there's no such breed. You have an ill bred, untrained mutt mix from a horrible backyard breeder. Shame on you supporting the breeding of these mutts instead of adopting one.

These mutts are well known for being ill behaved which is why so many end up dumped at shelters. Good luck!

• Star_of_Darkness

Muts are never better. And doodles are ill bred mutts with all manner of issues 

That is good to know my friend.