Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

Is getting hit by a single arrow, from a bow and arrow, on average enough to kill, or at least incapacitate a human? Or would it take many?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • larry1
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago
    Best answer

More than one arrow/ and probably several in general is required to take an enemy warrior down.

a.) as a warrior/soldier he's in good shape, lots of hard muscle.

b.) as a warrior he's not standing still, but running all out/ moving fast.

c.) an arrow hit through a limb is not going to take him down, may not even slow him down.

d.) to count he's got to be hit in the torso, head or neck, and these are the very areas to be covered by mailed shirts, armor/ helmets, etc.

By the written historic record at the time, Medieval champions were seen still fighting/ killing and winning with arrows sticking all out of them like porcupines. 

Even common unprotected soldiers would pull arrows out of themselves and go on fighting. 

As any arrow hunter today will tell you, you need to hit an artery or critical spot to bring down your deer dead, elsewise the poor creature can just stumble around like a pin cushion with arrows sticking out of it.

In past times with humans, most died of sepsis (infection) from the arrow/ arrow wound days after the battle was over.

• 3 weeks ago

Depends on where it hits and what damage it does internally.

• 3 weeks ago

If an arrow hit a vital body organ it would kill like a bullet would kill.

• 3 weeks ago

depends on which bit of the body the arrow it, one can say with certainty that if the arrow hit someone in the heart then the person would die almost instantly, anywhere else there would be a chance for survival providing wound infection didnt occur. its probably fare to say that more people died from sepsis caused by wound infection than would have died from direct wounds in any battle

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The king of Anglo Saxon England was hit in the eye with an arrow at the battle of hasting and died. But if it hit you in the arm or leg you'd probably be fine. Although back in the days that bows and arrows were used, infection was a much bigger risk cause so little was know about it.

• 3 weeks ago

I assume it's much the same as getting shot with a bullet from a gun. Depending on where the person is hit it could be anything from instantly fatal to just a flesh wound. 

• 3 weeks ago

I doubt most single arrow hits would kill, unless they struck a vital organ or artery.

Incapacitate?  Maybe.  I know if I were shot, I'd probably drop to the ground and start thinking about treating myself.

• RR
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The French at Agincourt may not agree.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

A single arrow can certainly kill a person or at least incapacitate one.

• 3 weeks ago

There are a lot of variables.  If I built the bow and the arrow and shot it, the most likely outcome is that you would laugh yourself to death.  My good friend , Robin Hood, who is an excellent archer, could hit you in the exact spot that he wished.  He would use the fine English longbow with arrows that were designed to penetrate armour or arrows designed to cut deep so you would bleed to death quickly.  One shot would be all he would need

• 3 weeks ago

In a vital organ or in the head through an eye, most definitely. Even in the leg, if it pierces the femoral artery.

• 3 weeks ago

People have been killed by an arrow before such as going through the eye and piercing the brain. Or piercing the heart. 

In most cases you’ll survive because a bow doesn’t have enough force to make the arrow pierce the body deep enough to do any significant damage. 

If you’re talking about a composite or compound bow, that’s a whole different story. 

• RR
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

A Longbow is deadly.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.