Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 weeks ago

What should I do?

My friend recently invited me on a cruise for their sweet sixteen. 

Some context on the friend, they are non-binary and I was their first close friend. we just started hanging out last year so it’s been a year since we became friends, and since then, we’ve become really close. They aren’t very social, and their mom always would nag them about that, but now since they have me, their mom is happy that they have a friend. I also brought them into my friend group and they hang out with us now (i wasn’t the reason that they have friends, it was because of an event where we managed to become closer because of a mutual friend). I honestly love them to death and they tend to overthink and get social anxiety/anxiety in general when it comes to anything. 

So back to the cruise. Since i am their closest friend, i’m the only one that they’re comfortable with enough to go on a cruise with for a week. They also have a twin brother who is also bringing a friend. The cruise would be completely paid for. 

Now here’s the problem. My mother said no. She doesn’t want other parents to be paying for an expensive cruise, and also, my mother doesn’t want me going because i’d be the only girl. I feel really guilty because my friend will be really uncomfortable near their brother and his friend (they don’t like his friends) and i’m not sure what to do now. I’ve accepted that my mother said no, but would it still be possible to convince her? If not, how should i go about telling them? anything else?

update: so another family of girls are going now and my friends mother wants to talk to my mom to give her the details of it. wish me luck i guess :)

If you’re a minor you’ve got no conflict here. There’s no point in asking what to do because Mom said no (so you’re not going).

• martin

Your mom is being protective of you. This will have to be tolerated until you're out on your own.

i would just tell them you cant cause your mom wont let you

• Sabrina4 weeks agoReport

fair. i’m just afraid that they’ll start overthinking :/