david
david asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 3 weeks ago

What do you know about chardonnay?

I want to know a few things about Chardonnay. Where do the best ones come from? What are the basic characteristics and how do they vary by region? Do you have some favorites that are between cheap and $25? When I buy a bottle for someone I know, I want to impress.

Proof that good wine doesn't have to be expensive, these are some of the most consistently good Chardonnays for under $25.

Cambria "Katherine's Vineyard" Chardonnay.

Edna Valley Chardonnay Paragon.

Babich Hawkes Bay Unoaked Chardonnay.

Chateau Ste. ...

Talbott Vineyards Logan Chardonnay.

Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay.

• david

I ended up going with the Francis Coppola's Directors cut 2016.  Thank you for your recommendations!

I know it is good to drink, works well paired with many dishes (go for reds with beef or lamb tho) and makes excellent wine spritzers.

Different wines are available in different areas, I could give you a long list of what *I* like but it may not be helpful in your area, I live in wine country on the California coast and there is all sorts of stuff I can get here that you won’t see unless you order it.

My advice is to go to whatever liquor store you have in the area with a good selection and find a knowledgable person on staff. Tell them what you are looking for and let them help you.

I know a lot about wines and spirits but still sometimes have the owner of a very well stocked local store help me when I want to impress. I specifically go to him for very special things, like I’m about to invest $100 in a top shelf tequila to impress, but his staff is also pretty knowledgable if I’m just looking for a good wine paring.

I can tell you that I prefer California wines to European wines, although there are also some interesting things coming out of Australia and even South Africa, but stick with California for now.

Also, if you are taking a bottle of wine to a dinner, know what is on the menu and when you are asking for help picking a wine, tell the person helping you what it will be paired with.

The thing about Chardonnay (and wines in general) is that they can vary greatly. Some people may love a buttery, oaky Chard but others may hate that and love a vibrant, crisp Chard.

So it is hard to make recommendations without knowing more info. If I were trying to impress I would lean on the buttery/oaky side if I didn't know what the receiver preferred