Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is this common?

When I was younger, I’ve always heard of people with ADHD and OCD but would never think that it’s a real condition, because I’ve never met any of those. I’ve also spent the first 8 years of my life in a foreign country (Vietnam) where mental illnesses weren’t a priority like in a first world country. As I got older, I began to notice “symptoms” such as irrational fears that I’d somehow left my garage door open and take 10 minutes to drive back and check. It wasn’t anything crazy, however, because if I checked and double checked it would be fine. I never obsessed over patterns or anything like that, however, so I didn’t attribute much to OCD. Im now in my senior year of school and taking six fairly difficult AP classes (not sure if this is even related), I’m beginning to experience a lot of focusing difficulties. Usually it’s light stuff such a having to read three or four times each sentence even if I’m focusing extremely hard, or having trouble reading at all. I don’t think it’s because I’m not getting the question, because I do, but I think I’m just forgetting the beginning of the sentence for some reason. I’ve been noticing my symptoms getting worse and worse. Today as I was doing my math homework, I started to notice that it was very difficult for me to do a problem if it was not labeled correctly (even though some aren’t, others make me very anxious). My question is that is this a symptom of OCD? I’ve tried to set up a psychiatrist appointment but just wanted opinions. 

I would talk with a psychiatrist about this. I'll mention though that there's a tool used by professionals online - The Yale-Brown OCD Scale, that could shed some light on your situation.

One reason for seeing a psychiatrist that, if it turns out that you don't have OCD, this would be a load off your mind.

Something you could ask this person about is the work of psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz. As this Discover article explains, Dr Schwartz developed a method that has been validated with brain scan studies.

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/14-defense-fr...

If you go the Amazon ad for You Are Not Your Brain by Schwartz, you'll see that people with OCD think very highly of this book. You can also hear the testimonials of readers on YouTube.

Could be. OCD falls under the broad category of anxiety disorder. It’s more or less a situation dealing with overactivity of certain parts of the brain and underactivity of others. That’s one theory anyway. The supplement N-acetylcysteine (NAC) at optimal dosages has helped some people with these issues. Maybe 5-HTP or ashwagandha (an ‘Ayurvedic’ herb)  as well. Neurofeedback training is also said to be fairly effective at treating this. (Still trying to get this for myself, so far to no avail). I’m sure there are other things as well. Hypnotherapy perhaps. Maybe go to a naturopathic doctor, as well. Stay away from psych drugs though. They will give you a whole new set of problems. Trust me on that.

Yes, see a doctor you could just be driving yourself in a negative direction putting a strain on yourself for thinking negatively or really have a disorder that should be looked into further.

only a psychiatrist can tell you what you have so i would go see one