I rejected a job offer before it was offered to me and now I have regrets. How can I fix this?

I haven't had luck finding full time work, but had an opportunity to interview for a part-time position and hadn't heard anything back for a while. I just assumed that I didn't get the job.

This is where I messed up: I emailed the manager and instead of following up on my interview, I just told them I accepted another position. While I do have other interviews lined up, this wasn't true. They emailed me back congratulating me and telling me that they were going to call offer me the position the next day.

Yes, I'm aware that was extremely stupid to do and doesn't make sense. I honestly don't know why I did that..sabotaged an opportunity.

I would like to email the manager and ask if I can still take the offer, but I don't know how to fix this without looking like a waste of time or being rejected.

Should I just let this job go? Thank you.

For those leaving rude messages, I made a mistake and I am trying to rectify it. If you can't offer any help, please don't answer at all. I'm already beating myself up about it. 

Favorite Answer

Phone them back and say your other job just fell through and are they still interested in you.

The past is your lesson.

The present is your gift.

The future is your motivation.

- Brahma Kumaris

• Hypnos

It's probably too late but you've got nothing to lose reaching out. Just send him an email and say I was looking to take up this position but as I hadn't heard back for a while when this new opportunity arose I figured I should take it. Honestly, I would prefer to work for your company and if the offer still stands I would like to take it over the other job. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Be polite, there's no point saying you lied about the other job because then you will have no chance, see what he says. Nothing else you can really do.

• Judy

Let it go. They have most likely moved on.

i would just tell them youre available and see what they say

• Damien

no youve already lied to them about getting a job, so no point calling them to say u lied and do want the job, move on.

• John

The manager is a lucky man.

• Nunya

Email or call them to see if they are still searching for a candidate. It turns out your other job didn't materialize how you were expecting it.