Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

I cannot get my Dad to stop lying. What is a good way to trick him to be honest (he is very arrogant)?

For example an awesome trip he promised for the 2nd time and turns out he was lying. A Christmas promise when I was a kid he broke, it was one that was devastating. He lied so much to my mother she had to move out when my siblings and I were older. They separated but did not divorce. I remember him lying to me about my brother's wedding.

How could I trick him to be honest or is it like tricking an alcoholic to go sober? He is arrogant so telling him he is hurting us just makes him blame us. Only once has he owned it and that was in his marriage and then he went back to lying. It is so similar to an alcoholic uncle I have who quits drinking when his family confronts him just to go back to it. Now that he is divorced he is a full time alcoholic. My Dad is a full time liar. I sympathize with the uncle, he has a mental illness in the drinking, my father however is healthy in mind. His healthiness in mind is what makes him so arrogant.

He has even gotten after me for being "TOO HONEST" and has asked me to lie for him or with him. I usually comply. You would think a Dad would teach his kid to be honest, not a liar. Yet I'd be in trouble as a kid when I'd lie to him. 

• Josa
    Favorite Answer

There are many people who'd rather lie that tell the truth even when the truth is just as easier.  It's hard to remember all your lies.  My x husband was the same way.  I could always tell when he was lying because there would be a slight change in the shift of his eyes and mouth.  I never let it pass.  I'd tell him I knew he was lying because of his body language,  He's got an illness,  Compulsive lying disorder,  also known as pseudologia fantastica or mythomania, is a condition that describes the behavior of a habitual liar. ​While compulsive lying disorder is actually not included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), except as a symptom of factitious disorder, many psychiatrists and psychologists consider it a distinct mental disorder.  People with the disorder are not able to control their lies and experience no guilt regardless of how the lies may affect themselves and others. The lack of guilt is frequently the result of the fact that the individual becomes so caught up in the lie that they are telling, they begin to believe it themselves. If confronted with a lie they have told in the past or one that they are presently telling, they will be insistent that they are speaking the truth.Many psychiatrists and psychologists believe that individuals with low self-esteem who are looking, whether knowingly or unknowingly, for attention, popularity, love, or to cover up a failure are prone to developing the disorder. It is what it is and he is the one who will have to change the behavior.  

Well, you're an IDIOT!! You can't make him be honest. That's ridiculous and a waste of time.

not much you can do about it but pray he stops lying

Take what he says with a grain of salt. It is how to handle all liars.

Have as little do with him as you can. He's a bad influence, and possibly if you switch from trying to argue with him to ignoring him, he will consider changes. In fact, maybe your current way of handling him is exactly what he wants. It's hard to do, but change it up!