Are the people manning the self-checkouts at grocery stores the unfriendly idiots that can't do anything else except watch people?

• They're not when I use self check outs. The associates are always helpful and have a good attitude if I need help. But I've been a cashier, where I worked it's similar to using a self check out. So I know how to use one. I usually need help if I can't find the code for something, or if I need to void an item out of the register. If you feel you were miss treated by a self check out assistant, you should complain to a manager. 

• Judy

Gee, the ones at my store come over and help people who are having a problem, and help bag when they're not busy.

I have never had such an experience.

The monitors have, when the store is busy, always aided me in bagging merchandise.

Until the Bag Tax was implemented.

The Bag Tax is 10¢ per bag for PLASTIC BAGS, [Stop & Shop is charging for paper bags]

Anyway, they stopped helping bag, since they don't know if the client has their own bags.

Not really.   They have to help 4-10 customers at the same time, many of whom can't figure out the most basic of tasks like looking up the code for a lemon.    And in the store where I shop, if there's no one else at self-check, the employee will ask me if I'd like them to ring my stuff up for me. 

People generally use self-check because they don't want/need help and don't want/need chit-chat.  What do you want the self-check employee to do that they aren't doing? 

• audrey

Yes. They just stand there and watch a 72 year old obviously handicapped lady struggle to check out and bag $100 worth of stuff and never once offer to lift a finger.