jjejr asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

How do I recover from this?

During Spanish class, the teacher forced me to the front of the class to answer an easy question, which my brain refused to get. The class kept groaning about how dumb I was, and I could feel myself panicking. The teacher wouldn’t let me sit down. The class was laughing at my panicking, so I quickly said I was gonna go to the nurse and ran out of the room. I couldn’t breathe and became a sobbing mess, and then I threw up in the nurse because I couldn’t breathe and felt nauseous. I don’t know how I can face the class again in a few days. And I’m scared the teacher will do that to me again. What should I do?

Thanks guys. I just want to say that changing classes isn’t a option at this point, because it’s almost half way through the year. Also I told my mom and she emailed the teacher.

Likely, this situation eroded your confidence and further entrenched your fears. Shame on your teacher! In contrast, facing your fears may tend to reduce your anxiety. Confronting the situations that you have feared will convince you (1) that embarrassing flaws will most often not result in the disapproval of others and (2) that even if they do result in some disapproval, this is not a catastrophe. Continue to hold your head up high and focus on the positive; not the negative!

This teacher had no right doing that to you. I am appalled at the behavior of some of these teachers. My son also has extreme panic in public speaking situations which started when he was in the eighth grade. He literally cannot do it. He has had some teachers who tried to force him to do this. It is unconscionable and appalling. It is abuse, plain and simple. Such teachers should be severely reprimanded. It is willfully sadistic and cruel to make somebody suffer that way when you know that they are having extreme anxiety and self consciousness in such situations. You are not helping them, indeed in your ignorance of the human brain and nervous system, you are actually making their phobia that much more pronounced and ingrained. If, as a teacher, you’re attempting some kind of ‘desensitization’ or ‘exposure’ therapy, or whatever they call the types of protocols used to treat phobias in professional settings, you sure as hell better know what you’re doing. Otherwise you’re just increasing that person’s  suffering and pain. And I’m sure the mass majority of these teachers do not know what they are doing in these situations. They don’t have the expertise or specialized  training required for this. People such as my son who have had severe panic attacks in these situations know that it feels like...you are literally going to die. You cannot breathe, and in his situation he started almost going into a fetal position while he was standing up in front of a lot of students trying to do the public speaking. You’re sympathetic nervous system is in complete fight flight or freeze mode. Survival mode. There are even a lot of adults who have never experienced this. Probably akin to being in a war, some catastrophic natural disaster, extreme life-threatening car accident, violent sexual assault and so on. He said it was probably the worst experience of his entire life. Any teacher who derives some kind of sadistic sick pleasure in watching children and young adults suffer this way should really not be teaching in the first place. I believe in karma and I think that your teacher will find that they will be paying for this some day.  I really do. I hope you are OK.  I tried taking my son to hypnotherapists for this public speaking problem. We’ve considered doing Toastmasters. So far, he is still having the problem. And it caused him a lot of anguish. His inclination at present is just to try to avoid situations where he needs to speak in front of people. It’s a definite problem and I think schools should recognize more that there are people that really have extremely difficult times doing these things. If they are going to require you to public speak, they should be willing to spend an extensive amount of time helping the students who are unable to do that learn to do it under humane conditions or if not, excuse them from the exercise. It is as unreasonable to expect somebody prone to panic attacks to be able to do this type of thing as it is to expect a handicapped student in a wheelchair to run laps on the school track. That would be considered incredibly cruel and inhumane. Just because you cannot see the handicap of somebody with a public speaking phobia when they are not being called upon to do it, it  does not mean the problem does not exist. It is just as real as the disability of the person in the wheelchair. If it can be overcome... fine. If that’s not possible and it causes too much pain and suffering to the student, it should not be required. End of story as far as I’m concerned. I wish the best for you, and  I’m sorry you had to go through that trauma. It was uncalled for and unnecessary.

• Burgoo

cowboy up i would think. teacher didn't do that to you, you control your reactions. if it happens again, tell her commandingly to stop treating you in a demaning fashion, and that she ought to be ashamed of herself for bullying a student.

• Linda

Go to the principal bc the teacher should not have allowed the other kids to make comments like that and knew you were humiliated and seemed to enjoy it. Also tell your parents about this. They can talk to your teacher and let her know how it made you feel. I hope this does not occur again and I am very sorry.

I have an answer, when you go to talk imagine they are all naked or peeing their pants.  You are in control and come back swinging (not literally,  hit no one),  but tell them this girl says so.

• Jerry

Tell your parents; move to a different section of Spanish is possible.

Get a grip.  Get some therapy.  Realize that most people --  including your classmate -- are so self-absorbed they won't remember what happened. If they do, what does it really matter?  They aren't that important.

The next thing you need to realize is that your teacher expects all students to be able to answer a question in front of the class.  If you have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, you should meet privately with all of your teachers and your guidance counselor to discuss who standing in front of the class causes you to have a panic attack and how each class can help accommodate you while still meeting the learning objectives of the class.

• D_21

Drop the class and take it again next semester or something. Just go to the office and get a schedule change. Give them some benign but necessary enough reason. Trade Spanish class for another elective.