Could my computer be getting hacked into?

Backstory: A week or 2 ago I received this email from what looked like apple support telling me I was locked out of my account and me being in a rush I clicked on the link and only after it asked for my social did I realize it was a corrupt link. I closed the site, shut off my computer, turned off the internet for a bit, all the usual stuff I know about. Then I ran a system scan with my antivirus software and everything was good. 

10 minutes ago I walk up to my computer that was already on and all of a sudden one of my screens go black and on my other screen the "blue screen of death" pops up but it is very very distorted image wise. My computer has once blue screened before because of a overheating problem, so I know what my blue screen should look like, and that was not what it looked like last time. I immediately unplugged my computer because I got really worried. Turned it back on now, everything seems fine. I also just had this computer repaired for the heating problem and its a really good computer so it should not be blue screening like that. Anyone have any ideas? Was this just a regular blue screen incident or could my computer be getting hacked into? I'm not really sure and I'm paranoid now. I wish I could have taken a picture of the blue screen and shown how it looked, but I panicked and just turned off power to my pc, but trust me when I say this looked like a blue screen from 2001.  

Favorite Answer

That site you went to was trying to get your apple username and password.  Possible but unlikely that a trojan was installed on your computer.

Always always always look at the email header for the exact "from" email address (name@domain) before you click on any links in an email you receive.  If it doesn't look right, just delete the email.

• Manuel1 month agoReport

I changed all of my passwords and such. I don't think they can do anything else to me right? After that I got more emails from them but I deleted those

oh yes it is definitely hacked. Yep.

..............................

It's possible your computer got infected. It's good you ran your AV software, but did you run your anti-malware program? There is more malware infection these days than virus. 

It's also possible that was just pure coincidence that you saw that blue screen right after going to that site. You will know more if you see this screen again.

Regardless whether you see the blue screen again or not I highly recommend you run your anti-malware program and if you don't have one you should install one. Malwarebytes is the best on the market.

You gave them your social security number? What a dumbazz.

Typical phishing scams to data mining. "NEVER" give SSN, bank info, or pass words to even your own mama or you risk being compromised.

Keep your AV and firewall up to date on line.

• George

Just THINK, always THINK, no matter how much of a hurry you think you are in. THINK.

Think safety. In your position I would be doing a full clean install and not chancing it.

You were smart to realize it was a scam after asking for your social security number. Anytime Apple etc. wants to make contact with a person, they will never ask for personal information, way to go, good job.

You can get a virus (or other malware) from a program.  NOT from an e-mail (unless it comes with a program that you run).  NOT from media, like an MP3 or a video. Only from an executable file.

It looks like you have an issue with your computer.  It COULD be malware or even a corruption in Windows.  Or it could be a 'hardware' problem like overheating. 

• Manuel1 month agoReport

What about the really weird looking blue screen? It doesn't look like the usual blue screen I get at all. That's why I got so worried

I wouldn't be so afraid of your computer getting hacked, I'd be more worried about your credit getting hacked.  Do you have credit monitoring software?  You need to.