Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 8 months ago

Can I refuse treatment ?

Can I ask to stop my treatment for depression? My treatment for my eating disorder treatment is being stopped for now as my mood is to low to carry on with it so they say. So that’s stopping. I said I just want to stop my medication and seeing people like my CPN and mental health doctors, because I’m sick of it and it isn’t getting any better. My therapist said ours can stop but she’s not sure about the other because my mood is way to low and my weight can just drop. What will happen if I tell them I no longer want to go or do anything about it? No judgment please you don’t no the back story’s. 

• k w

yes you can....and stop eating processed foods, all the additives/preservatives create a chemical soup and NOBODY but you, knows what that feels like...try to eat fresh foods as often as possible, it will assist in flushing out the bad stuff, foodbabe dot com and or the book of the same name, amazon has it, will help you to identify the bad stuff.....so will these books, grain brain, wheat belly, cereal killer.....keep avoiding consuming the processed stuff and feel better.....you are right, to avoid them folk, part of the problem, not part of the solution.....keep going down that path....get well soon....

yes, you can stop..............................

Yes, you can refuse. However, it is dangerous to stop immediately, and you WILL without some kind of help, get worse which could lead to you being sectioned if it is thought you are a danger to yourself. Eating disorders are very hard to combat--and they kill.

Yes and you can also pull open your eye sockets and stick a wire into your head and poke around at your brain with it until you fix what's wrong.

You’re an attention seeker

You should drop the medication. It will do more harm than good. There are other treatments for depression which do not involve medication. Hypnotherapy, Neurofeedback, mindfulness training, EFT (emotional  freedom technique), ART, art and music music therapy, EMDR, etc. In your situation, with the eating disorder issue, I might go with hypnotherapy, But whatever you decide to do, stay away from the drugs. Take it from somebody whose life was seriously damaged by these substances. They do more harm than good. And a lot of that harm cannot be undone if you’re as unfortunate as I have been. Just my two cents. Maybe see a naturopath or holistic health practitioner as well to rule out endocrine, hormonal and other  physiological issues. The biological underpinnings of “mental illness”are often overlooked. Psychiatrists and psychotherapists rarely bother to establish a physiological baseline before recommending or instituting (neurotoxic) drug treatment.  They prefer to prescribe neurotoxic chemical drugs ($$$) which often make symptoms worse, create new symptoms altogether, or just mask them at best, rather than getting at the root of the problem. “Above all do no harm.” How many of them actually pay any attention to THAT admonition? VERY few, in my experience. Profit and greed are too enticing for many of them.

you have the right to refuse treatment. seek a professional advice with your physician. weight out the pros and cons of your decision and make an educated choice 

If you are of legal age and of sound mind then you can chose to stop treatment.

As an eating disorder is classed as a mental health issue, as is depression, there is an argument that your mind is not in a fit state to make this decision, so your guardian, next of kin etc may be able to make the decision on tour behalf.

If you can give your treatment team a rational argument why treatment should be stopped, it is more likely to be stopped or, at least, the medications altered.

• Tulip

I think I smell a troll

• Layne

I was in there twice and I don't care if people stigmatize me.  I have healthy self-esteem for the most part. I am in college, have an awesome boyfriend and kind of cute.  Best wishes!I was never cuffed and the cops didn't think I was a threat and the doctor said that both times were not necessary   Inpatient.  I was at those at 16 and 17.  I have Bi-Polar 1.  I am perfectly normal and cute.  haha.  ok