12 hour shifts and going to college ?

I'm 19 and do have a 3 month old at home. I currently work 12 hours from 8pm to 8am. I start college in January. I was wondering do you think it would be to much to take on? I'm studying to be a nurse. I do want to enroll as a full time student. My boyfriend currently works a full time and is also looking for a part time. I would have class almost everyday as well. 

From what I've read, generally people suggest max work hours for a college student should be between 10-15 hours a week or grades will start to suffer. I work two 5 hour shifts on Sat and Sun at a grocery store. And it has worked fine for me (I will sometimes ask for days off when midterms/finals approach). So if this means 12 hours each day, with a bachelor to study for nursing, which would be very demanding, I definitely think it would be difficult and suggest cutting it down.

• John

What you are planning would be extremely challenging, especially when taking nursing.  Have you applied for financial aid?  Living expenses are considered when financial aid is awarded.  If you received enough aid, you might be able to reduce your work hours.

You should cut those hours to eight hours per day. (job).

EXTREMELY difficult.

• juliet

Hi, I’m a senior nursing major. I have done clinical rotations and internships, so I know what 8-12 hour shifts are like. I am a PCT during the breaks when I go home, but I personally did not want to be a PCT during the school yea and do the long and demanding hours. I do really well in school, and I didn’t want long work hours to consume my time. I chose instead to tutor nursing subjects I took already and work at a daycare because those jobs are less stressful and time consuming, and are actually a great way to take my mind off my own stresses. I know MANY people who ARE PCTs/CNAs/sitters during the semester and have maintained great/good enough grades but these people only work 1-2 times a week oreven as little as once every other week. many of them opt for 8 hours shifts instead of 12.

As a second semester senior, we will only have classes 3 days a week. So people plan to pick up more hours then. I personally will not, because I’d rather study for boards.

Source(s): So it’s honestly up to you! Try it for a bit, and then decide if you can really do it. I’m going to be bold and say it IS doable for some.

Yes. Look at what you posted.  You would work overnight and then go to school?  When would you sleep?  Do homework? Do house work? Spent time with your partner and child? Who's watching your child while you and you boyfriend are working or going to class?

There's no point in going to school is you aren't going to do well and master the content so you can get a job, right?  You've made a huge commitment to be a mother and your child does need you.  I'd strongly encourage you to focus on your child and finding a way to earn enough money to support yourself.  In a few years, either your boyfriend will be able to support you so you can go to school and or your child will be in school.  At that time you can reconsider advancing your career.

You'll have a very hard time making that schedule work. If your baby wakes up during the middle of the night or gets sick, it will throw off your entire schedule. You might be able to manage two of the three -- baby, school, work -- but all three will be very difficult. You need to have sufficient time in your life for sleep, for studying and for everyday living (cleaning, cooking, errands, etc).

My guess, is yes, its going to be too much. When are you sleeping? Studying? what about clinicals in the hospital? and what about child care? Most people have a very hard time in the nursing program, with out working the nights and having a baby.

• Linda

It will be extremely hard on you and you won't have much time with your baby during his formative years. Why not work part time and go to school part time to make it easier on yourself?

So you're basically never going to sleep? You may as well focus your energy on getting him to marry you instead.