Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Am I being paranoid about a needle stick? ?

I work as a tech in an ER. Long story short I had to put a known drug addicts clothes in a bag to go upstairs. Question I’m asking is would I feel a needle poke my fingers? I’m not even sure if he had a needle in his pocket to begin with. I had bad anxiety so I think that’s what the issue is! Thanks

• Gert

Get a blood test if you're worried.

Obviously you would have a puncture hole (torn skin) if not overt blood coming out of the wound. There is no evidence that you suffered a needle stick. Yes you would feel a needle stick your fingers as the fingers have many nerve endings, more so than other areas of your skin. 

You are paranoid and need to deal with it with your coworker ER staff inclusive of doctors there who will be more than happy to evaluate you each and every time.  Know your exposure protocol because as you claim you are paranoid. 

• Speed

Of course you'd feel a needle stick. Your anxiety doesn't reduce the efficiency of your nervous system to experience pain. So if you didn't feel anything, you didn't get stuck.

• Robert

And you didn't report a "possible stick" to your supervisor and have it evaluated and get the necessary precautionary shots? Sounds like you have a suit against your facility for poor training and putting you in a position of responsibility long before you were trained and ready.