2007 Mazda Miata dies for no apparent reason.?

No codes are thrown, nothing to indicate there is a problem. Gas pressure is great, firing on all cylinders, new plugs, wires etc. Took it to two different auto repair and they are just as puzzled. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Honestly I still suspect a fuel system problem. Some problems are kind if intermittent that are associated with excess debris in the fuel tank blocking the "sock" (the filter on the fuel pump in the tank". Thankfully checking the tank and servicing the fuel pump is easy in a Miata.

At one time a leak in the intake system could cause this to happen, but that as far as I know would not be the case on any thing but a NA.

One last thought- water in the gas tank has been known to cause a problem. A prankster can do a lot of damage. When this is the case often the engine can not be started or runs like a hit and miss engine.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Plug a scan tool to check the PIDs when the engine stalls.  Check ECU power and ground.  If the ECU ground connection is shared, clean the ground connection and replace the ground terminal.  Check the codes with a dealer level scanner.  There could be communication codes due to a bad module. Get a clamp meter and check the amps on the fuel pump when the engine is running and at the moment when it stalls.  Fuel pump could be shorting when it is hot.

You can try "throwing parts" on it.  Replace the crank sensor, cam sensor and air-fuel ratio (O2) sensor.  It could also simply be a bad ignition switch or a bad battery on your fob or a bad fob.  Good luck.

• ?
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

Leaning towards the FOB. 

• Dan
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Replace the crankshaft position sensor. It's a shot in the dark but it is the single biggest cause of random shut offs.

• Dan
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

No, crank sensors rarely set a code because the engine dies and isn't running for a diagnostic to take place by the PCM.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The last time my car died on me, and I couldn't start it up again, it was the distributor.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Yop
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Check crank shaft sensor.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Check to BATTERY terminals ..............

• ?
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

It runs without a battery so that's out. Appreciate it though! Thank you for the input!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.