Is an open box of baking soda safe to put in a fridge with food in it? My fridge kept sending out an odor even after I tried cleaning it.?

It is arm n hammer I believe 

• 7 days ago

Of course it is safe. it is a natural deodorizer, and since it is safe for human consumption, it will be fine in your fridge.

• denise

I use an old salt or pepper shaker [with a stopper], to put baking soda in, changing the soda with some fresh, once every 6 weeks perhaps?.

It absorbs any odors and keeps the 'soda' away from the food in the fridge.

Yes. The baking soda is meant to absorb the odor. It won't harm the food.

why not?? Baking soda is an ingredient in tons of foods.

AND for that odor you cannot find, try looking under the fridge in the evaporator pan..Something nasty might be in there. Also, make sure the door gaskets are clean. those can get pretty funky and must also be cleaned.

• andrea

You need to clean the fridge on the inside with the Bicarbonate of soda, 

• marty

Absolutely.  We use it all the time.

Yes, that is safe, and it can be quite effective in helping rid the odors. And keep cleaning the fridge, it often takes more than one attempt.

• Adam D

Yes.  You can eat small amounts of baking soda - and do, in certain recipes.

• Greg

Yes, it is a safe and effective deodorizer.