Is it safe too eat 1 week old burgers?

I have a packet of burgers in my fridge that I opened last week, the package says to use within 24 hours of opening, I have had them wrapped up in a plastic bag. Will they be safe to eat or will they make me ill?

• denise

I would'nt risk it personally.

Depends on how long ago you bought them. If you bought them a fairly long time ago (4-6 months earlier), odds are they've probably expired long since then. If you purchased them fairly recently, they should be fit for consumption.

• patty

u could take a risk but is it worth it

If they pass the smell test, they'll be fine as long as you cook them completely. I like my burgers a little pink but for this, I wouldn't chance it.

nope-not me-I wouldn't eat them--not after a week, and esp since there was just a beef recall and they are being sketchy on the details.

not enough information.

Actual burgers, like in a bun, with condiments?

Nope, not me. I wouldn't eat them.

Raw burger patties? Sniff them. If they don't stink they are fine to cook and eat.

Spoiled meat stinks.

Cook to well done as you always should.

• https://groceries.asda.com/product/microwaveable-snacks/feasters-8-flame-grilled-beef-burgers/910001747210

They might make you ill, I would not risk it. If it were 2 oe 3 days, I would eat them, but not after a week. I suggest that next time, you cook them right off, and they will last longer, or you freeze what you will not be eating in a more timely manner.

Would you purchase a package of ground beef that was a week old in the store meat cooler? There's a reason it's kept in a cooler, and there's a reason that two days after being put in the cooler that it goes on sale. Personally, I'd toss it.

• Jerry

The standards for "Can I sell this as fresh meat" aren't the same as the standards for "Can I cook and serve this to my family safely." 

• Linda

They are probably okay but a week seems a long time to keep food like meat. If in doubt, throw it out.

• Jerry

Our grocery bills would double if my husband was making the decisions about what to throw away. He'd throw away a whole package of hot dogs because they "feel slimy," a whole cooked ham because he sees a little congealed fat, a whole cooked chicken because "it has a smell."  

If they have remained refrigerated the possibility of them being "bad" is slim. 

I would say though if they smell off, feel slimy I would toss them

I personally do not like to keep meat or leftovers in the refrigerator more than 3 days. I portion and wrap and freeze.