Seeking advice about a situation at an auto shop?

I'm seeking some input about a situation at an auto shop. I took my Jeep into a bigger chain auto shop. I needed 2 new front tires. While waiting for the tires to be put on, I received a call saying they rolled the windows down and now one window won't roll up. I did have a problem with my driver's side door window. I hadn't gotten it fixed because it's $200. It's been like that for a few years. Well, since they rolled the window down, it's completely broken. Now I have to spend $200 that I wasn't planning on spending. I started thinking that they should hold some responsibility for not returning my Jeep the same way it was. Wondering what other people think about this. Thank you for your input. 

Thanks everyone. They fixed it yesterday, so now after years, my window rolls down. All is good. And I learned a lesson to disclose everything when taking your vehicle in. 

• REV B

If they can fix the window for $200, let them do it because I charge more than that! 

The only way they are responsible is if you disclosed the problem at the time you began discussing buying tires, and specifically directed them to NOT put the windows down. You were aware there was an issue, something that could let go at any time. It just happened to let go at that time. Not the shop's responsibility.

• hart

you have to warn them before hand now is to late bad luck

• Dan

Totally not their fault. After many years in this business I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me - a lot! 

Mechanics always role windows down because they don't want keys to get locked in, it's just a habit. I've had door handles come off in my hand when trying to bring a car into the shop, door mirrors that dropped to the ground and smashed when simply closing the door, glove boxes that break when I go in to look for a wheel key, rear view mirrors that come off when adjusting...etc.

You asked this before and got mostly good answers. Simply refer to the previous answers. Repeating questions is reportable.

• Erik

You said it yourself, it was already broken.  I know most people don't think of these things beforehand, but you should have told them about it when you dropped it off.  You don't have to let them fix it, if you think you can find someone else to do it cheaper (which if it's a chain, you probably could).  Try getting the part on ebay, or from a salvage yard, and taking it to a place that will let you bring your own parts (places that sell used tires usually do this).

• not

Mechanics often roll the window down. It's the best option to avoid being locked out of the cars that lock the doors on their own.

This happens with other parts too. They may need to set your parking brake and find out it's junk for example. If you keep you car in a state of disrepair you should notify them of the failed system regardless of your guess as to their need to use it. Smart people tag the window switch so that nobody will touch it. Many inoperative things get tagged as such. Ever seen an out if order sign elsewhere?

• y

You knew it was broken already, that you were already having issues with it. Normal expectation in the shop would be if need be, they could roll down the window for communication and or ease of access.  Just becouse it finally died when in their hands, in this case, does not mean they should be held responsible.

• Scott

That's too bad, but not their fault. Your deferred maintenance caused this, not them rolling down the window.

• Trump 2020

What, you think the mechanic is psychic  or something. How's he supposed to know about the window?

• Vicki

I mean, I have to ask why they were rolling the window down to begin with? To change the tires, it doesn't need to be rolled down. However you should have warned them. It's like letting them know "You open the trunk and it probably wont shut because the latch is broken." It's like... Ya know. But still, I don't think they'll take responsibility for it. They were rolling down the window and didn't have any knowledge it was broken so they had no knowledge this action would result in more money loss.

Sorry about the Jeep though, and the money.

• Lv 4

good answer & comments; also, good idea to stay with the vehicle, & observe whats going on, because even at a good place there can be things going on/ things that are unexpected