? asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 3 weeks ago

As a teacher why is that I don't feel connected to my students?

It's been 3 months in my new school and I teach students of grade 3. I don't feel connected to them. They are good , disciplined but not warm and friendly. What is the reason for this?

You probably haven't made an effort to connect with them.

Don't be just a teacher to them, be more than that. Listen to what they have to say, ask them questions about themselves, make jokes, laugh with them, tell stories and get to know each one of them personally.

I've been teaching for 3 years and I never really had to make an effort to connect with my students but that's probably because I've always done great with kids. Maybe, you're the cold one or maybe you don't even like kids after all...

And lastly, let me just tell you that it's pretty much impossible to connect with them if you don't make some time to get to know them personally.

• Elaine

You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself some hard questions. Do you actually like your students?  Do you promote a warm friendly classroom atmosphere?  Are you approachable?