Anonymous

How to be cool with my family when they ask for stuff?

I have a really large family, yet, I am considered to be the one doing a little better since I have a college degree & have a decent job & freelance. I love helping out young ones with resumes, letters of recommendations etc. Yet, even with my generous help they tend to ask for un realistic requests. For example, my nephew asked me how I got clients for my freelance work, and I told him politely I cannot disclose that information. He also demanded me to teach him how to start a business. I refused & and referred him to some good books. One thing is generous help like college advice, letters of recommendations and another thing is handing a 17 year old all the answers to start a business. Not fair. Am I a peace of **** for being this way?

Favorite Answer

I feel you could handle this a LOT better than you seem to be doing.

"my nephew asked me how I got clients for my freelance work, and I told him politely I cannot disclose that information."

Why couldnt you? Why couldnt you give an honest but vague answer?

"I get my clients through a variety of sources, usually recommendation from existing clients."....as a for instance?

"He also demanded me to teach him how to start a business. "

That should have been shut down immediately, he can demand all he wants, behaving like a toddler wont get him anything

I am not entirely sure I believe all of this TBH. Seems very petty, and sounds like a humble brag on your part, it doesnt seem to carry any substance....

Part of being an adult is being able to set boundaries.

Unreasonable requests have an answer of NO, then you explain why it's unreasonable.

If you dont want to give them stuff ,you are free to say no.

You sound ridiculous, frankly, and I don't believe a word of it.... your English is appalling, by the way. 

• Rick B

Huh??? how you find your clients is something you can't disclose to a young relative???? Why not???

He asked you to guide him in starting a business and you told him no???? Why not? IF you know how to do so, help him.

You draw some very strange lines with your assistance.