Why do Americans have such strong alcohol tolerance, but such week alcohol?

In my experience this has been the case.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

Not sure what you mean by weak alcohol? There are over 7,000 breweries in the US. You can easily walk into pretty much any store that sells beer and buy many beers with alcohol content of 8%+

Sure, Bud and other megabrands have around 5% alcohol, about the same as any other megabrand from other countries (i.e. Heineken). Guinness comes in low in alcohol at 4.3%.

Best selling beer in Germany (Becks) is also 5%

Best selling beer in Belgium (Juplier) is 5.2%

As far as non-beer. Alcohol around the world is pretty much the same. Most comes in at 80-100 proof with some occasional much higher, but the best selling in pretty much every country is right around 80 proof.

• DCM5150
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

No problem...it is a misconception by many people across the planet :-)

• james
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I assume you mean beers. Yes they can be on the weak side in the U.S. Most is taste. To boost alcohol content rice is used in beers. But it does change the flavor of the beer. Beer is  a taste thing. You do not find beers in America at 50 proof or 25% alcohol content. & black rot rice beer does take some getting use to at first in flavor. 

• 3 weeks ago

why do people who want to pick on Americans have such terrible spelling skills.

AND are you talking about Mexican Americans, Canadian Americans, South Americans, Central Americans, US Americans???

Be specific.

• Bob3 weeks agoReport

P.S Language evolves. It is correct to refer to people in the USA as Americans. America doesn't only refer to the continents anymore! Prescriptivism isn't cool you.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Unless you're habitually drinking cask-strength malt, American spirits are comparable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Because they can handle alcohol better than Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

I can get Everclear 190 at Bevmo -- 95% ABV.  $35 for a 1.75 liter bottle.

• blank
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

There are plenty of strong beers and strong hard alchool.

Dogfish head  higher math is 17 percent 

New Holland Dragons Milk is 11 percent 

There is many more.

Sam adams makes a beer called utopias and is is around 26 percent.

• 3 weeks ago

Lol why do you think Americans have weak alcohol? With how things are so easily imported nowadays, Americans have access to the same kinds of alcohol you do and yes, they drink it. Many of my friends drink strong whisky or vodka. And at the end of the day, all that matters is how much alcohol you get in your system, not how strong the drink is.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It's spelled "weak"

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.